Saturday, January 21, 2023

January Health and Selling Hiatus Update #3

Due to my current condition, I probably will not return to selling books until sometime between March and late May.  This week I had a severe autoimmune flare.  I have only once before had a flare this bad, and that one occurred in August 2016.  

Nothing else in this post is about books except for a small reference at the very end, so quit reading now if this doesn't interest you.

With recent developments, I want to revisit what I thought happened and give my current perspective.  I continue writing about this in case the information is helpful to anyone who should run across it in the future.

This is from my November 12 post:

My immune system has gone bonkers since I got the bivalent Moderna booster on September 23.  I have heard of people having strong vaccine reactions after having had Covid, and unfortunately, I seem to have joined the crowd.  I had Covid in July, and I believe my immune system has gone into overdrive in an attempt to destroy the vaccine...

I've been dealing with hives and the most intense itching ever.  I have memory problems and a poor mental attitude, the likes of which I typically see in a strong autoimmune flare.  The problem is that I'm not exactly flaring, at least not in a normal fashion.  I feel certain that this is from the vaccine.

When I came down with Covid on July 14, it wasn't bad.  My thyroid took a hit for a couple weeks, and I seemed to get better.  I now think that my thyroid didn't recover. 

I do recall that I had intense hunger during most of September, to a degree that I hadn't experienced in many years.  I used to be intensely hungry all the time before I was put on thyroid medication nearly 10 years ago.  What I experienced in September was odd considering that I was supposedly stable on my medication.  The intense hunger started a few weeks before I got the bivalent Moderna vaccine.  The hunger wasn't caused by the vaccine, so my levels must have already become unseated.

I worsened noticeably after I got the bivalent vaccine, so it was also a factor.  However, Covid itself started the flare that worsened with the vaccine and then significantly worsened during the last two weeks.

I was stable on Tirosint 50 mcg combined with NP Thyroid 45 mg for three years, the longest I have ever been on the same medication.  I had intermittent hives for the entire time I was on NP Thyroid and suspected that the NP Thyroid was the cause.  I put up with the hives because I didn't want to have to go through the difficulty of switching medication and then months of trying to stabilize.

In early December, my provider agreed with my request to drop NP Thyroid and change to Tirosint only.  My Tirosint dose was increased to 75 mcg, and I quit taking NP Thyroid.

The hives continued until right around Christmas when they began decreasing.  Since then, the hives have continued to steadily decrease and then disappeared a few days ago.  I have no doubt that the hives were tied to the NP Thyroid.  

My T3 and T4 levels have improved slightly since switching my medication.  However, my TSH, which indicates whether my body is getting enough hormone, has increased significantly.  That is, significantly for me.  My numbers are never very high.  Apparently some people can have a TSH in the hundreds, while mine is always in the single digits.  More about that later.

Since my TSH went up, that means that I'm not getting enough hormone.  I am now taking Tirosint 88 mcg.  We will reassess in early March, and I may have to go up again.  Changing thyroid medication is a hassle since it can take months to get the dosage right. 

I want to share my test results since the average doctor would think that I am just fine and need no medication.  My levels are normal, yet I am quite ill.  The thyroid lab ranges are too wide, which is why many thyroid patients remain ill and untreated. 

Most doctors don't test the T3 free level.  T3 is what gives us energy.  Mine has been decreasing during the last three years, but I've been overall okay.  My body thought it had enough hormone.  When you look at where I am now, it seems okay.  I am not okay.

Always click on images to see them clearly.


Most doctors do test the T4 free level.  T4 is the inactive hormone that gets converted to the the active hormone, T3.  My T4 is down at the low end of normal.  Most doctors would think that this is fine.  It's not fine.



My TSH indicates that my body does not think that it has enough thyroid hormone circulating.  This is where you can see that I have a problem.


Even so, I am barely above the top end of normal.  I am quite ill if my TSH is anywhere above a 1.  Most doctors think that a 1 is borderline too low.  Most thyroid patients need to be at the very bottom edge of the normal range in order to feel okay.  That is where I was for the last three years, even though my T3 and T4 levels were kind of low.  My body was happy with the hormone levels.  It's not happy now.

Unfortunately, many doctors believe that thyroid patients should not be treated unless or until their TSH is above 10.  Mine is never above 10!  Doctors doom their patients to being ill their entire lives.  When the patients complain that they feel horrible, the doctors tell them that their labs are normal and that they need to see a psychiatrist.  The patients then become very upset, just wanting to be believed.

In closing, I take all of this in stride.  I stuck with the NP Thyroid for way too long because I didn't want to unseat my levels and have to go through months of readjustment.  Getting Covid and then the bivalent booster blew everything up, so I took the opportunity to drop NP Thyroid. 

I'm glad that I did drop NP Thyroid, and I can ruefully thank Covid for placing me in a position to where I felt able to face the fallout from making that change.  I will continue to have some hives as a side effect of my condition, but they should be at a much lower level from now on.

Also thanks to Covid, I was at home on the morning of December 5 and was able to purchase some very nice books.  If I hadn't gotten Covid and hadn't become sick, then someone else would have gotten those books.  Even difficult situations sometimes have a silver lining.

No comments: