Thursday, December 28, 2023

Keeper of the Lost Cities: Oralie and Sophie

This post is about Oralie and her relationship with Sophie.

This post contains MAJOR SERIES SPOILERS.  Stop reading NOW if you have not already read all of the books including #8.5 and #9.

SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER

I write with the assumption that readers have read my past posts and know what my theories are.  This is where my old posts can be found:

Keeper of the Lost Cities Summaries, Reviews, and Theories

Some Keeper fans have made very critical comments about Oralie, stating that she is horrible and that what she did to Sophie is inexcusable.  These readers see characters as all good or all bad.  They struggle with characters who are nuanced.  Oralie has both good traits and bad traits.  This doesn't make her a bad person.

Criticism especially centers around how Oralie reacts when Sophie discovers that Oralie is her biological mother.  I decided to take a closer look at Oralie and what little we know about her.

About Sophie's Parents

Book 3, Page 444:  "But if they tell you that your mom is the most open, go-with-the-flow person they've ever known, is that suddenly going to make you stop being so stubborn or keeping so many secrets?"  "I doubt it," Sophie admitted.  "And what if they told you your dad was an even bigger rule breaker than me—not that that's possible.  Are you suddenly going to start ditching class and pranking Dame Alina—or, Magnate Leto, or whoever our principal is?"  "No."  "Right.  Because our family doesn't decide who we are.  We decide who we are."

Keefe's hypothetical description fits Kenric and Oralie.

Book 8, Page 266   "But they were also experimenting with your life in ways that were bound to cause problems for you—and that didn't stop them from doing it.  So, I'm just saying… anyone who helped with the project probably has some issues—especially the people who didn't even want anyone knowing they were involved."

Keefe is right; Sophie's parents do have issues.  They donated their DNA so that their child could be genetically modified to become an elf warrior.  They are not normal.

Clues to Oralie's Personality

Book 4, Page 19   "It's okay," a fragile voice promised as the figure threw back her shimmering hood.  Blond ringlets cascaded around the beautiful, familiar face of a weary-looking Councillor Oralie.

Oralie's voice is described as "fragile."  I've been saying all along that it's an act.  I still think it is an act, but I must also consider that Oralie's voice is fragile here because she's utterly devastated over the very recent loss of Kenric.

Book 4, Page 23   "Sometimes rebellion is the only course of wisdom.  As all of you well know."

This is an early clue as to how far Oralie will go to support the rebellion.

Book 4, Page 296   "Oralie is far cleverer than you know.  It's easy to underestimate the quiet beauties."

Oralie is quiet, which means that she might be a bit shy.  Sophie was a bit shy at the beginning of the series.

Book 8, Page 195   "So while Oralie finishes whatever nonsense she's doing, I'll walk you through the Articles of your Regency.  The more we multitask, the sooner we can escape this pink monstrosity."  Oralie flung one of the powder puffs at his head, showering his face with a cloud of glitter.

Here we see Oralie being playful and sassy.

Book 8.5, Page 587  A staring contest followed—until Oralie murmured, "I wonder if this new ability isn't an ability at all."  "What do you mean?" Noland asked her.  Oralie's cheeks flushed.  "I'm not certain.  It just seems significant that Keefe is now a Polyglot and an Empath, and used his voice to control emotion.  That almost sounds like the two abilities merged somehow—or synchronized.  Which would make sense, given that Keefe was exposed to shadowflux and quintessence.  Elements trigger change.  They rarely create something entirely new.  But I'd need to do more research to know for sure."

The cheeks flushing could mean that Oralie embarrasses easily.  She may be a little insecure.  She's someone who might not respond properly when confronted with her deepest secret.

Book 9, Page 181   "Wow," Sophie said again.  "I didn't know you wore pants."  "There's a lot you don't know about me," Oralie said, padding across the room in her bare feet.  Between the boring tank, black pants, and messy bun, she was almost unrecognizable.


Oralie isn't the delicate fairy princess that everyone thinks she is.

Oralie's Grief for Kenric

Book 3, Page 339   But the finery didn't make them look any less weary and miserable.  Especially Oralie.  Her eyes were nothing more than puffy red slits, and she leaned on her goblin bodyguards like they were the only things keeping her standing.

Book 4, Page 540   But Sir Astin was right.  Kenric would never let Oralie suffer.  Just watching her thrash and flail and sob broke Sophie's heart.

Book 8, Page 176   Clearly all the months since Kenric's death hadn't lessened Oralie's grief over losing the person everyone had suspected she'd secretly been in love with—and who'd obviously been in love with her, too.

Losing Kenric has caused Oralie unspeakable grief.  This has impacted her deeply. 

Oralie's Lack of Mothering Skill

Book 5, Page 436   "Well," Oralie said, standing and removing a pink-wanded pathfinder from her cape.  "Family debates aren't really my area of expertise."

Oralie knows nothing about being a mother or dealing with any kind of family situation.

The Burden of Oralie's Secret

Book 6, Page 199   Her jeweled circlet was noticeably absent from her ringletted blond hair as she whispered, "Can you ever forgive me?"  Mr. Forkle moved to her side and reached for her fragile, shaking hand.  "There's nothing to forgive, Oralie.  I would've made the same choice my brother did in that moment.  And you're an Empath, so you know I'm telling the truth."

Book 6, Page 207   Oralie moved to leave then, holding a shimmering pendant up to the light.  "It's incredibly good to see you," she told Mr. Forkle, choking slightly on the words.  He cleared his throat.  "It's good to be seen."


Mr. Forkle is the only person who knows Oralie's secret—that she is Sophie's mother.  Oralie must be relieved that the one person who knows her secret is still alive.  Mr. Forkle is the only person she can talk to about her involvement in Project Moonlark.

Book 8.5, Page 531   "So he knew," Sophie said as both Oralies let out a strangled sob.  "He knew you're my..."  "He must have," the real Oralie whispered.  "But I had no idea.  He never said..."  She leaned closer to his projection, shouting, "Why didn't you tell me when I'd remember it?"

Oralie's secret is such a tremendous burden, and here she learns that Kenric knew her secret but said nothing aside from during the memory that he erased.  Kenric was someone who she trusted, and he would have been a comfort to her if she had been aware that he knew.  Instead, he kept it to himself.  Oralie yells at his projection in frustration that he never let her know outside of the Forgotten Secret.

Being Councillor Is Everything to Oralie

Book 7, Page 40   "Serving on the Council is a tremendous honor," Fallon told her.  "But it shouldn't be your life.  I gave the same advice to another, once.  Sadly, I don't believe she listened either."  He could've been referring to anyone, of course, but… Councillor Oralie's cheeks had turned the same shade of pink as the tourmalines on her throne.  Her azure eyes also looked glassy with unshed tears—which broke Sophie's heart.  She'd long suspected that Oralie had resisted her feelings for Kenric in order to remain on the Council.  And now Kenric was gone.

Some people are married to their jobs, and their jobs are their complete identity.  This is Oralie.  Fallon saw it and warned her.

Book 8.5, Page 530   "Ora," Kenric breathed, sweeping back her hood, "you don't have to keep fighting this.  We wouldn't be the first to walk away because of—"  Oralie shook her head.  "Kenric, don't."  His jaw set and his eyes blazed with the same intensity as his voice when he told her, "Because of love, Ora.  We both know that's what this is, no matter how hard we pretend otherwise."

Kenric comes on really strong here.  He suggests that he and Oralie could be together and maybe even have their own family. 

Book 8.5, Page 530   He leaned toward her, and her lips parted, like she might let him kiss her.  But at the last second she turned her face away.  "I can't do this."  He turned her chin back toward him.  "Can't?  Or won't?"  "Both."

Kenric is making sure of how strong Oralie's resolve is.  He professes his love, suggests that they be together, and acts like he might kiss her.  Oralie rejects him.  I believe this is partly why Kenric is able to fake his death without being shattered by guilt over what he did to Oralie.  He can justify his action because she was never going to marry him. 

Also notice that Oralie says, "I can't do this."  She means that she can't give in to her feelings for Kenric.  It's not that she doesn't love him; she can't act on her feelings.

Oralie's Regret

Book 8, Page 193   Oralie shook her head.  "Of course not!  You just look so…"  "So…?" Sophie prompted.  "It's hard to explain.  You've changed since the first day I met you.  You're… not a little girl anymore.  Which is how it's supposed to be.  I just wish…" Oralie bit her lip and looked away.

Oralie regrets that she wasn't able to be a mother to Sophie.

Book 8, Page 200   "But you need to know I'm unmatchable." Oralie froze.  Bronte sighed.  "I'm assuming that has to do with the lack of information about your genetic parents."  Sophie nodded, wondering if Bronte was yet another person who'd been expecting this to happen.  Oralie didn't seem surprised either.  More devastated.

Book 8, Page 204   "I'm sorry," Oralie whispered before she stepped back.  "For what?" Sophie asked.  "Many things."  She adjusted a strand of Sophie's hair.  "But mostly for the fact that you've needed an ally so many times—and I haven't been there.  I promise that's changing."


Oralie does have regrets.

Book 8, Page 670   "Just like you couldn't stand up for Prentice!" Sophie added—and somehow Oralie managed to turn even paler.  A ghost of her pretty pink self.  "I didn't know Prentice was hiding you," she whispered.  "When I found out… I've never been so ill."

Book 8.5, Page 521   Sophie jerked away when Oralie reached for her.  "Just stop it, okay?  You're wasting time."  "Actually… I'm not.  We needed my tears, didn't we?" Oralie blinked, showing how glassy her eyes had gotten.  "I knew the easiest way to trigger them was to remind myself of how much you hate me."  "Oh."

Oralie is hurt by Sophie's rejection.

Oralie's Fear of Discovery

Book 8, Page 420   "I am not your genetic father, Miss Foster.  By any means.  And if you need to verify that I'm telling the truth, ask Councillor Oralie."  Oralie stumbled away from both of them, shaking her head hard enough to tangle some of her ringlets.  "I don't want to be involved in this."  "Neither do I," Bronte noted.  "And yet, here I am."  Oralie's rosy cheeks turned very, very pale.  "If anyone found out…"

Oralie is panicking at the idea of anyone learning that she is Sophie's mother.  This is her deepest secret, and she is paralyzed at the idea that it might be revealed.  Being a Councillor is that important to her.

Why Oralie Donated to Project Moonlark

Book 8, Page 670   "Yes, I was told that I could help them create something—"  "Something," Sophie interrupted.  "A wake-up call," Oralie clarified.  "A force for change and good, who would make our world pay attention in a way that no one else ever could.  Make people see things for what they are, not what we thought they were."

Book 8, Page 670   "No," Oralie said, turning toward one of the windows and staring out at the stars.  "I thought it sounded like the only way I'd ever be able to have a child."

Oralie donated to Project Moonlark because she felt a duty to her world to help.  Since Oralie's job is everything, she knew that she would never otherwise have children.  She would never quit the Council to marry.

Book 8.5, Page 519   "It can," Oralie whispered, wrapping her arms around her waist, "when that's the only way to have a daughter."  The last word sounded different than the others, and for a second, Sophie found herself meeting Oralie's stare and wishing the Black Swan had made her an Empath.  Then she would've been able to tell if the sadness and longing she could see in Oralie's eyes were actually real.

By this point, I'm sure that Oralie has realized her mistake in making her job everything.  But what can she do?  Kenric is dead, and Sophie resents her.

Oralie's Reaction to Sophie Learning the Truth

And now, I get to the scene that has caused many fans to dislike Oralie.

Oralie admits that she is Sophie's mother, and then they stare at each other.

Book 8, Page 666:   And for a long breath, they just stared at each other.  And stared.  And stared.  Until Oralie said, "Sophie, I..."  And Sophie waited for her to finish that sentence.  And waited.  And waited.  And waited.  But all she got at the end was Oralie telling her, "I... can't do this."

Oralie uses the same words that she used with Kenric: "I can't do this."  With Kenric, Oralie couldn't give in to her feelings.  With Sophie, I suspect that it's the same reason.  Oralie can't give in to her feelings because she can't be a mother to Sophie.  Oralie can't be what Sophie needs her to be.  Oralie is a Councillor, and her job is her life.  

After Sophie expresses anger, Oralie says, "I know you're angry."  That doesn't help.  

Book 8, Page 668:   "Right," Sophie said quietly.  "You had to make sure no one would ever find out the truth—because if they did..."  Her voice abandoned her as the full reality of her situation clicked in.  No one could ever know.  It was the same realization she'd had when she'd thought her father was Councillor Bronte—only so much worse.  Because Oralie was beloved by the people.  Vital to the Black Swan.  Essential to the Council.

Sophie then says that Oralie has ruined her life.  Oralie replies, "Ruined?" in a flat and emotionless tone, like someone who is in shock.  When Sophie flounces out of the room, Oralie calls out to her, "Are you going to tell anybody?"

Oralie's reaction is bad, but I view it through the lens of what we know about Oralie.  The Council is everything to her.  Of course she's going to ask, "Are you going to tell anybody?"  She knows that she will lose her job if Sophie tells.

Oralie ought to tell Sophie that she cares about her, but Oralie is too shocked about her secret being revealed.  She immediately thinks of her job and that she might lose it.  I suspect that the Council became everything to Oralie after Kenric died.  Kenric was her rock, and she's lost that.  The Council is all that she has left.

That's my take on the situation.  I believe that Oralie and Sophie will come to an understanding eventually.  I find nuanced characters to be fascinating, and I'm not like the readers who see characters as all good or all bad.  Flawed characters are interesting.

I write my thoughts only in this blog because I have been downvoted on Reddit for the very few comments that I have made.  In one case, I answered a poll about my favorite Councillor.  The person who created the poll left off Kenric and put an unimportant Councillor who never speaks in his place.  I had to vote for Oralie.  Oralie got quite a few votes with Bronte coming in at first place.

In the comments, someone said that the people who voted for Oralie must not have read all the books.  Excuse me?  I've read them, and I won't apologize for liking Oralie.  I replied, "I've read all of the books, and I like Oralie the best of the Councillors who were included in the poll.  My favorite Councillor is actually Kenric with Oralie in second place."

I was downvoted.  They didn't approve of me liking Kenric and Oralie.  So, that's why I write my thoughts only here.  I get a low number of views and no feedback, but at least I'm not getting downvoted by fans who don't like my opinions.

No comments: