Thursday, December 21, 2023

Keeper of the Lost Cities Books Signed by Shannon Messenger

On December 2, I wrote about a signed Keeper of the Lost Cities graphic novel that I was fortunate to acquire. 

Keeper of the Lost Cities Signed Graphic Novel

I purchased it on eBay from a seller who had purchased it during Barnes & Noble's Black Friday signed books promotion.  

I mentioned in my last post that I am very skeptical about signed items. 

My View on Signed Items and Autographs in Books

In the case of the Keeper of the Lost Cities graphic novel, I was certain that it was signed because of the emblem on the cover that indicates a signed copy.  I knew it was real, so I was interested in acquiring one.

Recently, I saw a post on Shannon Messenger's Facebook about signed copies of the Keeper of the Lost Cities books.  Shannon has an arrangement with Mysterious Galaxy Bookstore in San Diego, and she signs books for them.

On December 7, Shannon's assistant posted the following on Shannon's Facebook.

Shannon stopped by @mystgalaxybooks yesterday and hand-signed all the things (hardcovers and paperbacks!), including the new KOTLC Part 1 Graphic Novel and all the books in the Keeper Series! This is perfect if you are looking for a signed book from Shannon as a gift (or a treat for yourself)!


That was proof enough for me, and I promptly decided to purchase as close to a set of the hardcover books as I could.  I already had been thinking about purchasing the hardcover books, just because I like the series so much.  Why not take the opportunity to get signed copies?

Mysterious Galaxy's order page for the signed books is here:

Order Signed Shannon Messenger Books!

If you click on each title, then you can scroll down slightly on the resulting page and see how many signed copies of each book are still available.  Someone on Shannon Messenger's Facebook was concerned about whether they could be sure that they would receive signed copies.  Yes.  This is what the shopping cart looks like:


I ordered a near-complete set of the hardcover books.  I am paranoid right now because of the holiday rush, and I've had some problems with incoming shipments this month.  For that reason, I paid for priority mail.  I also thought that due to the weight of the package that I needed it to come fast before it ended up damaged.

The package arrived safely.  The books were shipped promptly and packaged well.  This is what I saw after I opened the package and removed the top layer of padding.


The note made me grin.  So exciting!

I purchased the graphic novel, since Mysterious Galaxy had the regular edition, which is different from the Barnes & Noble edition.  That way I would have both versions in signed copies.

I purchased the softcover annotated edition of the first book, since I didn't have a copy of the annotated edition.  Mysterious Galaxy didn't have a hardcover copy of it available.

I then purchased hardcover copies of #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.5, and 9.  They didn't have a signed hardcover copy of #8 in stock.

Here are the signatures.













Here is my display of Keeper of the Lost Cities books and collectible items.  The signed books are the graphic novel that is second from the right in the top row and all of the books in the bottom row.


You might notice the page markers in the paperback books.  Earlier this year, I purchased the paperback books to mark the positions of the appearances of a certain character in his various identities.  I used a different color of page marker for each identity.  I did this to prove to myself that my theory about him was correct.

No comments: