Friday, December 29, 2023

Failure to Read Most Windswept Books + Windswept #2 Someone Is Out There

Note: This post is from January 31, 2021.  I'm publishing it now because it fits in with my Windswept reviews.  My brief comments could be of some interest.

Windswept #2 Someone Is Out There, Carole Standish, 1982

Who would want to spend Christmas on Cape Cod in Grandmother Davies's drafty old house on the lonely beach, hidden in the winter fog?  Marcie Williams shivers at the very idea.  She's even more worried when she arrives on the Cape and meets Peter Doane.  He's quiet, sensitive, and good-looking, but so mysterious.

Peter and his uncle are suspected of murdering a fisherman.  Marcie believes Peter is innocent, but then who is it who prowls around the fisherman's abandoned hut?  Who calls Marcie with the strange warnings - and attacks her in the black of night?

Marcie is frightened, but she must stop whoever is out there, before it's too late...


This was the book that I tried in order to decide whether I should purchase the Windswept books.  I  did enjoy it, so I purchased the set.  Unfortunately, most of the set was written by authors whose style is not to my liking.  I ended up not reading most of the books.

I already mentioned how I tried many of the books and quit.  Here are some brief statements as to why.  I'm sure that many of the books are good, but a book has to grab me very quickly, or I won't take the time to read it.  If I were still young, I would be more patient.  I'm no longer like that.

#1 Don't Walk Alone - I felt information overload.  There is too much description of the setting, just way too much.  

#3 Girl in the Shadow - The book flashes back to eight years before, and I couldn't tell where it was going.  I can no longer tolerate books that don't tell the story straight.  Just get to the point.

#5 Yesterday's Girl - It was taking too long to get with the story, so I quit.

#7 The Red Room - information overload

#8 The Silvery Past - took too long to get to the point

#9 Dreams and Memories - flashbacks

#10 A Forgotten Girl - too slow to start

#11 The Ghost of Graydon Place - too slow to start

#15 The Girl Cried Murder - too slow to start

#16 House of Fear - too slow to start

#24 The Burned Letter - story about how she first fell in love with Roger - summary of the past

#25 The Castle Murder - aversion to teen books set in France

#28 The Disappearing Teacher - way too colloquial - using "you," etc.

#32 Secret of the Dark - isolated on a mountain

No comments: