Friday, December 23, 2022

A Great Nancy Drew Hardcover Digest Find

A couple weeks ago, I posted about some books that I purchased on eBay on December 5.

Spying Some Hardcover Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Digests

I wrote:

This happened yesterday.  I was at home, awaiting for it to be time to leave for my appointment.  I checked eBay and looked at a bulk listing of green APC Nancy Drew books.  I was using the zoom feature on the image and stopped when I reached the lower right corner.

WHAT WERE THOSE BOOKS ON THE FLOOR?!

I saw what I felt certain was a hardcover Hardy Boys Digest plus some other possible hardcover Hardy Boys Digest books.  I saw Nancy Drew Ghost Stories but couldn't tell for certain if it was hardcover. 

I checked the seller's other listings, but the books hadn't been listed.  I kept a tab open on the seller's listings page, sorted by newest first.  I came back and refreshed every so often.  Finally, the books appeared, and I got them!  This never would have happened if I hadn't taken the day off for my appointment.

These are the seller's pictures of the books.



Based on the seller's photos, I expected the Nancy Drew books to be very nice and the Hardy Boys books to be average copies.  I thought that I would end up keeping most of the Nancy Drew books and around three of the Hardy Boys books.

The books were supposed to arrive on December 12.  I checked the tracking that morning and was distressed to see that the postal service had marked the package as having an "insufficient address" and that it was being returned to the sender.  This occurred just two minutes after the package arrived at the Oklahoma City distribution center, so I was pretty sure that an entire truckload of packages got marked as being returned to sender.  No doubt, a bunch of locals were quite upset that day.

I figured that the package would arrive the next day.  Even so, I was nervous until the tracking finally updated the next morning, showing that the package was out for delivery.  I finally received the books.

As expected, the Nancy Drew books are very nice.  The Hardy Boys books are in average condition with a bit of wear and not better than my copies, and I am keeping only two of them.  

The Nancy Drew books are great.  Remember to click on images to see them at a higher resolution.





The Nancy Drew books are all Demco Turtleback editions.  The spines look very nice.  The books will look beautiful on the shelf.  The drawback is that the cover art is not reproduced well on many of the books.  The Search for Cindy Austin is particularly bad.

I cannot part with any of these books.  I will keep all 18 of the Nancy Drew books.  I am going to have to make a decision about whether I keep all of the books I already had along with these new ones or whether I can sell a few of the books I already had.  I think that perhaps a few of the ones I already had will be upgraded by these books.  For other books like Cindy Austin, I will have to keep both copies.  I think in most cases that I will keep both copies.

Another reason these books should be kept is that many of them have cover art that is more uncommon.  It's really neat to have a hardcover copy of some of the difficult to find cover art such as the one seen on Fenley Place.

Even though I wish the Hardy Boys part of the purchase had been better, I am thrilled about the Nancy Drew books.

No comments: