Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Altered Covers of Series Books

This post is not how I want it and is unfinished.  I'm publishing it anyway, since I'm not interested in writing anything else.

Altered covers fall under several different types.

Covers from random books retitled to appear to be series books


These are fantasy covers.  Someone will take a random book and retitle it, making it appear to be a Nancy Drew or other series book.  There is nothing offensive about these covers.  They can be confusing to people not well versed in series books when they are posted without an explanation.

Altered covers featuring political content

These covers always create problems.  Politics and religion are the worst topics to bring into a group.  It's amazing how many people place an altered cover with political content in a group not realizing the trouble it will cause.  Back when the main series groups were not on moderation, these covers showed up each time a late night talk show featured them.  In all cases, the posts had to be removed within hours due to the fighting that ensued.

Altered covers that mention drugs, sex, or anything offensive

Quite a few altered Nancy Drew covers have been making the rounds on Facebook and Reddit in the last few months.  The vulgar covers are currently circulating mostly among the Nancy Drew game fans.  I strongly dislike them.

It's not that I'm intolerant or a prude.  Not at all.  It was suggested earlier this month in a comment on my Facebook page that those of us who dislike obscene altered covers need to "grow up."  Huh?

I see cuss words and offensive general content all over various websites.  I read Reddit a lot, and obscenities are present in a majority of the content.  It's not that I have a problem with seeing certain words; it's that I don't want to see those words on the cover of a Nancy Drew book

It's funny that because I object to obscenity in one narrow situation that I am perceived to be intolerant and childish.

I just do not want to see the covers myself.  Actually, it's not so much that; I can tolerate the altered covers occasionally.  I can also tolerate them when they aren't too obscene.  Unfortunately, one cover that I recently saw crossed the line past what I can tolerate.  That was the straw that did it, and I started complaining about the covers on my Facebook page. 

It's fine that many of you love seeing the altered covers.  I do understand the allure of it for people who like that sort of humor.  I would never try to prevent you from enjoying what you like.

Since some people will keep posting the covers, I do what I can to reduce how often I see them.  Let me make this clear:  I don't complain to the group moderators.  They decide what is appropriate in their groups.  If they are fine with the vulgar content, then I am the one who must adjust.  

I left the Nancy Drew subreddit where the covers are circulating.  That subreddit consists of nearly only Nancy Drew game content, the vast majority of it outside of my interest or understanding.  I am missing very little by leaving that subreddit.

The content is also in circulation on Facebook in the Nancy Drew Game Fans group.  Even though I love the Nancy Drew games, the content in that group is not of high interest.  I'm still a member, but I unfollowed the group so that the vulgar altered covers won't show in my main Facebook feed.

A Facebook friend shared an altered cover a few weeks ago.  I realized that I could block the page that was shared by that person, which should prevent me from seeing the covers whenever they are shared from that page.  I did so, which should help.

I can't do anything about the altered covers being sold on Etsy.  If I run a Nancy Drew search on Etsy, I'm going to see the covers about Nancy burying or losing her last ****.  I am sick of them and don't find them amusing, but I just ignore them as best I can.  People apparently love them.

Fortunately, we do have a few places where we can escape.  The Collecting Vintage Children's Series Books and Nancy Drew Book Fans groups on Facebook do not allow the obscene altered covers.  I also won't ever post them here or on Facebook.

If you haven't seen the altered covers and are curious, the Facebook page that creates most of them is known as "Your Ruined Childhood."  You can also search online for "fake Nancy Drew book covers" or with similar search terms to find some of them.  Many of the covers are not offensive and are just a bit stupid.  I don't get much out of any of them since I'm not interested in seeing altered Nancy Drew covers.

No comments: