Monday, December 12, 2022

Astonishingly High Nancy Drew Old Clock Prices

The books shown in this post are ones that actually sold.  The prices are amazing, and the books can be found for much lower prices. 

I ran a search for "Nancy Drew Old Clock" along with "first" and looked at sold items.  It's apparent that people think that Old Clock is worth much more than other titles, especially if identified as a first.  It little matters that the books are bare tweed and nowhere near first printings.

Click on an image in order to view it more clearly.



These books typically sell for $10 to $20 rather than the high prices seen above.

I also checked a few other Nancy Drew titles.  The trend is not present for Hidden Staircase, Bungalow Mystery, and others.  It's just Old Clock.

Since more than one book sold at a high price, this cannot be dismissed as meaningless.  The books were worth that much to the people who purchased them.  Clearly, some people are willing to pay high prices for bare tweed copies of Old Clock.  I am interested in why this is happening.

I suspect that each buyer used "first" as part of their search.  Without that word, eBay shows 864 results for Old Clock, which is a bit overwhelming to inexperienced buyers.  Using "first" narrows the search to 11 books, some of which are tweed and priced similarly to these sold listings.

These sorts of buying patterns are rather fascinating.

2 comments:

Christina Acker said...

This is the wrong post to ask this but I’m wondering if you’ve encountered this sorta sketch book. My friends are convinced I imagined it. 😂 I read it in the mid/late 80s. It’s about a girl who goes for a mall makeover and crushes on the man who is a singer in a rock band performing at the mall. They run away together and just in time … they are found and they both learn that he is actually her dad😐

Jennifer White said...

I asked some other people about the book. They feel like what you are remembering could be a combination of more than one book. Sooner or Later by Bruce and Carole Hart bears some similarity. Another book, My Name is Sus5an Smith: The 5 Is Silent, has an uncle in it although the story is different. If I hear of anything more likely, I'll let you know.