Monday, January 2, 2023

My Collection Parameters Part 1: The International Editions

Every collector has a way of limiting what they purchase.  Many of us struggle with large collections that take up too much space, but we make collecting decisions that limit what we decide to purchase.

I have a large collection of international edition series books, but I have sold off many of them to get what I have back under control.  I originally collected all international edition variants of Nancy Drew, the Dana Girls, Judy Bolton, Trixie Belden, Connie Blair, Vicki Barr, Beverly Gray, and Cherry Ames.  I also purchased a small number of Ken Holt and Hardy Boys international editions as well as a large number of Three Investigators international editions.

I then realized that many of the international editions didn't mean that much to me.  I had collected them just for the sake of collecting them.  I concluded that the two series for which the international editions are most important to me are Nancy Drew and Judy Bolton.  That decision helped guide me.

I decided to sell all of my Cherry Ames, Vicki Barr, Ken Holt, Hardy Boys, and Three Investigators international editions.  I sold the majority of my Trixie Belden international editions but have kept a few.

I did keep all of the few Beverly Gray international editions that I had as well as most of the Connie Blair and Dana Girls international editions.  I kept all of my Judy Bolton international editions.

I then looked at Nancy Drew.  Nancy Drew is the most important series, but my collection of international edition Nancy Drew books was quite bloated and contained many books not that important to me.

I have sold most of my international editions where the cover art is the same as the original cover art.  These two books are Icelandic editions.  They feature the original cover art of Blackwood Hall.  Even though the books are nice, I sold them since they have the same cover art as each other and as the original Nancy Drew Blackwood Hall.



I decided that in most cases I would limit my international editions to Nancy Drew #1-56.  While I am fond of the Nancy Drew Digest books and love my complete sets of softcover and hardcover books, I find that the international editions of those books do not hold the same appeal.  

I sold these two Swedish editions that are post-56 and have the same cover art as the original editions.



I also culled many books from my rather large set of French editions.



I sold all books in the above paperback format, including books from the first 56.  I sold most of the books in the below paperback format, including most books from the first 56.  I kept a small number of books for which I really like the cover art.


I sold all of the post-56 books from my hardcover French editions, such as the one pictured below.  I kept all from the first 56 books.


I sold all of my French Girl Detective books plus any Girl Detective books that I had in other languages.


I made some more difficult decisions as well.  I first began reducing my Armada Nancy Drew books by selling off the ones where I don't care for the cover art.  My least favorite style was sold first.


From there, I gradually reduced my Armada editions until I finally decided to sell my favorite format.


I like them, but I like other international editions much more.

I have made a conscious decision not to purchase any of the Norwegian Nancy Drew books that use the Armada cover art.  This next book is an example of that format and is from a listing recently sold on eBay.


What I have mentioned doesn't cover everything, but it should give you an idea of the parameters I have used to limit my collection of international editions to some degree.  The main takeaway is that I am not interested in international editions that feature cover art that is identical to the original books or that I find less attractive.

No comments: