Thursday, January 19, 2023

Patti by John Benton

From the back cover of Patti:

Patti Jacobson is a young teenager from Duluth, Minnesota.  Hanging out in bars at the age of fifteen, she finds herself involved with the wrong type of people.  Convinced that she can make "big money" as a prostitute, she is caught in a miserable, degrading spiral of sex, crime and disillusionment.  Running away from her life in one city after another, it seemed that she would never escape the ruthless, sordid world of prostitution.

Patti is one of thousands of young girls who are troubled, confused, misunderstood... desperately looking for happiness.  Yet, there is hope for these girls.  Her moving story contains a powerful, positive message for all young people who are searching for meaning in a complex, impersonal world.  Find out how she frees herself from her hopeless existence and discovers a new, rewarding way of life.
 
Content:  abortion, car theft, prostitution

This book is especially crazy.

Patti gets arrested and bailed out by a young cop.  He forces her into a relationship, and she gets pregnant.  She has an abortion.  Later, Patti steals her pimp's car and drives it to her own house.  This seems rather... stupid.  Of course the pimp has no trouble tracking her down.  Patti then runs off with an escaped convict who becomes her new pimp.  The new pimp's main gig is to have Patti steal from truck drivers.

From page 81:

I knew what was happening to him.  He was having problems with his wife.  She was another of those frigid girls.  She probably cut him off—that was her way of penalizing him.  Some wives don't know it, but they drive their husbands to prostitution.

Of course it's the wife's fault.

From page 132:

I knew what he wanted, but he didn't know what I wanted.  As we rolled back and forth, I worked his wallet out.  He didn't notice.  I was even able to open it and grab the bills.

He was getting more passionate.  Would he reach for his wallet and offer to pay me?  I knew I could get a hundred dollars now, but the bills I felt in my hand were over that.

Suddenly I just lay there quietly.  "What's the matter?" he demanded.

"I feel something."

"Feel something?  What's the matter?  Is the mattress too hard?"

I laughed.  "No.  I feel something between my legs that isn't quite right."

He rolled over.  I sat up straight, holding the hand with the wad of bills underneath me.  "I hate to tell you this," I said, "but I gotta go to the bathroom and check myself.  You see, I, uh... It's really embarrassing, mister, but I've been about four days late, and I think it's happened."

His chin dropped.  "What a dirty break!"

Oh, my.  It's astonishing that these books were written by a minister and were actually sold in church bookstores. 

On page 157, Patti is solicited by a man and woman who are living in a camper.  The man explains their situation.

"One night we got into an argument, and I said I wanted someone else.  So rather than breaking up our marriage, we both decided we would have the same person.  So we agreed to go to bed with the same person, and you are it.  Now, young lady, don't take me wrong.  We are plain, decent people.  You can trust us."

This scene struck me funny.  "You are it."  Ha.  This book has many funny parts. I loved it.

No comments: