Thursday, August 10, 2023

Collector Negativity and Criticism of Other Collectors

This post was written in December 2022.

Many collectors come across as quite negative when they post online.  Even collectors who are generally positive make negative comments at times.  We've all been negative at one time or another, and I must begin by saying that I have certainly been guilty of that.  I try not to do it these days, since it is detrimental to our hobby. 

I am concerned that the ongoing negativity has already driven many collectors away.  I know for a fact that the negativity has reduced participation in the groups.  I know this because of comments made to me via private messages.

1.  I am aware that some people never post in the groups because they are intimidated by certain people.

2.  I am aware of proposed projects that were canned because of negativity. 

3.  The bullying that began on the old Applewood message board and in the alt.news.nancy-drew newsgroup in the late 1990s continues (click here for more information), although it usually occurs outside of the groups.  I saw evidence of this bullying in my Facebook newsfeed as recently as October 2022.  They still haven't stopped, and they do drive others away.

Let's cover some of the different forms that the negativity can take.

Making Fun of Cover Art and Illustrations

Collectors often poke fun at cover art and illustrations, but sometimes this is taken too far with little concern for how others feel.  Around 20 years ago, the cover art of a certain Judy Bolton book was ruined for me because a few other collectors went into great detail explaining what was wrong about how the illustration was painted.  I see their comments every time I look at the jacket, and I used to love that jacket.  I still like the jacket, but I would have preferred not to have had the flaws pointed out. 

Altered book covers can also ruin our enjoyment of the original cover art.  I can think of one altered cover that is captioned in such a way that it points out what is wrong with the cover art, therefore ruining it forever.  That one is a Hardy Boys book that I will never see the same again.  The altered art is amusing, but it ruins the cover forever.

A certain Nancy Drew book has been used by all the crafters on Etsy and elsewhere.  It has a caption about Nancy burying her last f***.  I hate seeing that statement placed on a Nancy Drew cover.  I am beginning not to like the actual cover art of that Nancy Drew book.  What a shame.

Being Negative or Contrary 

I had what I thought was a happy post about colored illustrations.  I was surprised that the responses were rather negative.


People said that the book was ruined.  Robin Kane books aren't worth more than a few dollars, and the coloring is so nice that it adds to the value of the book.  Trust me on this.  I've kept the book because I like the coloring, and I don't collect Robin Kane.  I have no doubt that I could sell the book easily.  People need to lighten up.

Also, someone might joyfully report on a find and mention how nice the book is, using a word like "excellent" or "pristine."  Often, someone will correct them, telling them that the descriptor they used isn't correct, that the book is in worse condition.  That's just rude.

Qualifying One's Positive Statements

I see this very often.  Someone will remark that they like certain more modern Nancy Drew books, but then they immediately add that they like the original text books better.  Or they might say that they like the cover art of a later picture cover edition, but then quickly add that they like the Tandy art better.  It's actually okay to like both.  Liking one doesn't take away from the other.  Why qualify the statement?

Making Insulting Statements About Other Collectors' Purchases

This has happened to me lots of times.  I've been told something to the effect of "I'd never pay that much for..."  So?  They didn't; I did.  It's my money, and I can spend it how I want.  Saying that they'd never pay that much is an insult.

I've been told that what I paid for something was more than someone's car payment.  What does their car payment have to do with what I paid for something?  Exactly nothing.  Again, insult.

I was criticized for some of my first printing Nancy Drew purchases.  My top goal was to get all 38 books in first printing books matched with first printing jackets, a goal that I finally reached in early 2019.  Very few collectors have achieved this goal.  The last I heard, the number of fans who have succeeded is fewer than five.

I purchased the first printing books and jackets however I could.  I was willing to accept less-than-perfect condition since owning all 38 was very important to me.  I purchased some books that had water damage in order to get the jackets.  The books could be upgraded.  

Nancy Drew 1st Printing Auctions Part 3

In the above post, you can see a badly water-damaged first printing of Hidden Staircase that had a first printing jacket with a water stain on the spine.  I purchased that book, and I was told that my purchase was foolish.  I matched the jacket with another book, shown in the below post.

Nancy Drew First Printing Auctions Part 4

More than one very prominent Nancy Drew collector expressed skepticism about my purchasing decisions.  Some thought that any mold or mildew from the jacket would pass to the book and on to others.  Apparently, this can happen.  But did it?

If you looked at my "Part 4" post, you saw what my Hidden Staircase book looked like 12 years ago when newly paired with the water-stained jacket.  Here is what it looks like now.


Huh.  It doesn't seem to have changed.  Of course the condition of the book and jacket aren't perfect, but the first four Nancy Drew books in first printing books/first printing jackets are extremely scarce, if you haven't noticed.  Why insult me over the condition of my copy?  I'm proud of it.

I've been told that my library editions are nice but that others would only collect them if they weren’t library discards and were in extremely nice shape.  These comments weren't intended to be insults, but they irked me a bit.  I couldn't help how I felt, even though no slight was intended.  I was left feeling like my treasures, my beloved library editions, just aren't good enough for most collectors because they are library discards and have wear.  It's best just to tell me that the library editions are nice and leave off the rest of the statement.   

Pointing Out High Prices and Making Fun of Them

We've all done this but mainly on listings that are truly overpriced and will never sell.  It's a bit different when something sold for a high price, people are laughing about it, and you're the buyer.

In 2018, several sellers listed Japanese series books on eBay at fairly high prices.  I purchased many of them.  I was glad that the prices were a bit high, because I had very little competition.  Otherwise, I would have missed out.

People made fun of the prices, which irritated me.  I wrote, "One person even posted a laughing emoji about the prices.  Seeing someone make fun of the prices of books that I was buying was rather annoying."  I added, "When the books were mentioned on Facebook, some people questioned why the prices were so high.  Some thought that it would be better to go to Japan and find the books.  Assuming that the books could be found, one still has to pay airfare, lodging, and transportation.  The books would not be cheap once the other costs were factored in."

Recently, I paid a lot of money for a book.  In one of the groups, the auction was mentioned.  Someone posted a laughing emoji with a short remark about Nancy Drew collectors.  Now that some time has passed, I have realized that no insult was intended, but I felt quite insulted at the time.  People often type short statements with little thought about how they might be taken.  It's easy for someone else to take offense when the statement is too short without enough explanation of the meaning.  We all need to be careful that we are clear about what we mean.

Taking Advantage of Other Collectors

Over the years, a number of people have taken advantage of me or attempted to do so.  Regarding the book mentioned immediately above, I avoided posting about my purchase online due to the laughing emoji plus another comment seen on Facebook.  Someone was hoping to get a copy of the dust jacket.  I'm not interested in doing that. 

First and foremost, it's too much trouble.  I have printed color copy jackets in the past, and it's often not easy to get the colors to reproduce how they should.  The process is a lot of trouble for little monetary return. 

Second, I don't feel that it is right to expect me to copy a dust jacket of a book that was quite expensive.  I can't charge much for a copy dust jacket.  I shouldn't charge more than the cost of the paper, ink, and postage.  I am not going to make someone a copy of something for which I paid at least 20 times more than what they will pay for a copy dust jacket. 

I felt a bit put out and offended about the situation, and it took away a bit of my joy in that acquisition.  It really did.  Worst of all, I couldn't reveal the purchase.  Of course I could just say "no," but collectors expect other collectors to help them out.  I just won't ever talk about that book.  I'm hoping that the other one that later came up for sale went to that person.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

The one thing that irritates me in regard to the above is the collectors taking advantage of other collectors. I see that in other hobbies.