Friday, November 5, 2021

Some Collectors Enjoy Trolling

Last week, a Hardy Boys collector called me a jerk after reading a post of mine from five years ago.  As I begin this post, I will go on the assumption that the collector was truly angered by my post and was not just trolling.

Hardy Boys Wanderer Books and Judy Bolton Picture Covers

The anonymous collector wrote, "You wouldn't 'mind' them falling into your hands? What a jerk. Those of us who have been fans for decades work hard to get a set, not just to [s]ell them and make money."

My first thought was, Wow, such anger.  I then approved the comment, because why not?  If someone wants to act this way, then I might as well let everyone else see.  Finally, I went to the post and quickly skimmed it in order to see what triggered this person's response.

In the post, I mentioned how much I enjoyed reading the Hardy Boys Digest set.  I stated how I wouldn't mind having a set of the Wanderer books in hardcover with dust jackets.  Even so, I didn't want to spend the time and money involved in building a set, simply because I am not obsessive about the Hardy Boys series like I am with Nancy Drew.  I was happy acquiring whichever books I was lucky enough to find should they "fall into my hands."  The purchase that was detailed in the blog post resulted in me acquiring a few extras.  I mentioned that I would be selling the extras.  I never stated that I would be selling any of the rest of the books.  

Apparently those statements angered this person so much that they had to call me a jerk for selling books.  The bottom line is this:  If no one ever sold books, then collectors would never be able to buy books. 

It's now five years later, and I still have all of those books, except for the few extras that were sold at too low of a price.  Here are pictures of my set, which is incomplete since I am not trying hard to finish it.  Even though completing the set is low priority, I would like to do so eventually.






It took me over two years to sell the extras.  It shouldn't have been that hard.  The books were ultimately sold for well below what I should have gotten for them and well below what I would now get for them.  I remember that a reseller purchased a number of them.  The anonymous commenter thinks that I am a big bad reseller, but instead, I am often used as a supplier by other people who then resell the books at much higher prices.  I am a small fish, not one of the big ones.

I mentioned the person who purchased some of the Hardy Boys Wanderer books with dust jackets in this post.  Here is the portion of the post about that buyer.

I would just love to tell you who this person is, but I will refrain.  The buyer is a prominent seller on sites like Amazon, AbeBooks, Biblio, and others.

This person purchased a book from me, and then sent a message asking if I combine shipping.  I said that I do.  I made a grave error in not setting a time limit for combining orders.  I will never make that mistake again.

The buyer purchased a second book and sent a message thanking me for combining the orders.  I figured that the buyer was finished, which was my second grave error that evening.  I combined the orders in one box and refunded the extra postage.  Around 30 minutes after that, the buyer purchased some more books, each individually so that postage was charged on every order.  The buyer also sent another message thanking me for combining all the orders.  This time, I did nothing.  I waited.  Around four hours later, the buyer came back yet again and purchased another book.

This time I sent a link to the remaining ones, telling the buyer that if he wanted them as well to go ahead and purchase them.  He did not make any additional purchases.  Maybe I annoyed him.  Whatever.  I was more than just annoyed myself.  I was furious about his lack of consideration.  He was causing me extra work, and I could not get the books packed until he was finally finished.

In case the problem is not obvious, I had already packed the first two books thinking that the buyer was done.  The buyer received shipping notices for those books, since this was on eBay, so he knew that I had already packed the books.  The buyer then proceeded to purchase additional books, expecting me to combine them with the books that were already packed.  If I hadn't agreed to combine shipping, I would not have unpacked the first two books and repacked them with the later books.

I want to touch on another thought I had a few days ago.  This person who just called me a jerk didn't consider how my attitude towards the Hardy Boys Wanderer editions in dust jacket has saved the diehard collectors some money.  Since I stay out of the fray, I don't drive the prices of auctions up.  My inaction is keeping the prices lower than they otherwise would be.

This recent comment might just be the latest trolling by one of a small number of collectors who enjoy trolling.  They especially enjoy anonymous attacks.  In the late 1990s, there was a Usenet group called alt.news.nancy-drew.  The remnants of that newsgroup still reside on Google's servers.  A few collectors went after each other ruthlessly.  They created dozens of fake ids, using them to trash each other and a few other prominent collectors.  They ended up destroying the newsgroup, so everyone had to leave. 

The attacks that have been made in this blog and in other places online over the last 20 years are tied to the collectors from alt.books.nancy-drew.  Those same collectors are also some of the people who sparred in the letters pages of The Mystery and Adventure Series Review during the 1990s.  Read these past posts from 2011 for more of the background information.

An Explanation and My New Blog Policy

Series Book Collecting and Prices 

The first of the two linked posts mentions "unfortunate events" that upset me.  Those events occurred in the comments to the post "The Tenth Nancy Drew 1930A-1 Old Clock Dust Jacket."  One of the collectors took a shot at me via an id created to hide their identity.  I responded in anger, and then another person who had previously always been very friendly to me then told me I was the problem.  I  deleted my original response, feeling like everyone was against me.  After the events of that summer, my skin became quite thicker, and I no longer care about the collectors who keep throwing out insults while hiding behind various screen names.  

On more than one of the above linked posts, at least two of the collectors who participated in the disputes in alt.news.nancy-drew made comments.  One of those collectors identified himself while the other one used more than one alias for different comments. 

1 comment:

Stephen Schroth said...

Good for you, Jennifer. You do as much for the hobby as anyone, so just ignore the perpetually cranky and mentally unbalanced.

Too many collectors think others should care about what they like or dislike, and to comply with behaviors that are highly advantageous to them. That's not the way it works.

I am a 58 year old who collects children's series books, many of which were written 60 or more years ago. Most of society would consider that "weird." As a result, I try not to judge what others decide to collect. They make their choices, I make mine. And for me, it really ends there.