Saturday, August 12, 2023

Relationships Ruined by Judgmental Collectors

I was disappointed when several collectors made judgmental statements about those of us who watched the CW Nancy Drew television series.  We were criticized for enjoying the Easter eggs.  Some people said that the story arc of the first season was extremely obvious and that we were foolish for falling for it.  Huh?

Let's talk about behavior in the series book groups that no one questions.  Collectors often bring up the names of books that they are reading and will remark with sheer joy about how a series book character like Nancy Drew or Trixie Belden is mentioned on a certain page.  The book that mentions the series book character is not a children's book or anything remotely like a series book.  And yet, other members will jump on the post and say that they are going to buy that book and read it.  Everyone is enthusiastic and happy.

For someone like me, a name appearing in a book will not cause me to want to read it.  When the book is a work of fiction aimed at adults, I would never consider reading it just because Nancy Drew is mentioned on page 157.  Other people do decide to read the book for just that reason, but I assume that the book is something that would also be of interest to those people.

Consider what I just stated and think about it.  These people seem to decide to read the book just because of the Easter egg, but they more likely will read the book because the Easter egg brought a book of interest to their attention.  They know that they will like this book that had previously escaped their notice.

I would never make a disparaging remark aimed at these people.  Why?  I get it.  I can see how bringing the book to their attention would spark their interest.  It makes no difference whether the book would interest me, and their interest in the book is not my concern.

Now, let's get back to the collectors who criticized those of us who watched CW ND.  Paraphrasing from memory, these collectors said that we were only watching the show for the Easter eggs and that it was silly that we were excited about finding the Easter eggs. 

I cannot express how much these statements personally offended me.  I was disappointed to read the critical statements.  Some of these people just weren't thinking of how their comments came across, and I can give them a pass.  I have lingering resentment towards a few other collectors whose comments took on a tone that came across as especially insulting.

I did not watch the show only for the Easter eggs.  That should be clear based on what I have already revealed in this post.  When group members mention a work of fiction that contains a mention of Nancy Drew, I do not go out and buy it.  I'm not going to read a book or watch a television show solely because of Easter eggs.  

I read books and watch shows that are within my area of interest regardless of whether Easter eggs are present.  Any Easter eggs are just an added bonus.

One type of show that I enjoy features young people (children up to early 20s) who are involved in events that have some paranormal or supernatural content.  I am a big fan of Friday the 13th: The Series.  To be clear, this is the television series featuring Micki, Ryan, Jack, and later Johnny, who recover cursed antiques sold by Louis Vendredi, who had made a deal with the devil.  The series shares the same name as the movie franchise with Jason Voorhees, but otherwise, it has nothing to do with it.

So, I like shows like that.  I also have enjoyed Wednesday on Netflix, for instance.

In my case, the CW ND show turned out to be exactly the kind of show that I enjoy watching.  I would never have been aware of it if not for its use of the name Nancy Drew.  I should not have had to read the judgmental statements about how people like me were supposedly only watching the show for the Easter eggs and that we were stupid for doing so.  I did not understand why prominent collectors were letting the existence of this show ruin their relationships with other fans. 

And yes, some series book collector friendships have been ruined because of the squabbling about the CW ND series.  While I didn't lose any friendships, I am now quite uncomfortable around several collectors.  I also have lingering resentment over how I was treated as a group moderator during the fall of 2019.  

I do understand these people not liking the show.  Stating their opinion was fine.  Making insulting, judgmental statements about viewers of the series was not fine.  They crossed a line when they did that.

I am combining two draft posts here.  The other part has to do with how the CW ND show has benefitted me.  Yes, I'm serious.

I watch very little television and practically never watch movies.  Because of CW ND, I have watched a few other things that I've really enjoyed.  The show Cruel Summer was recommended as a show that CW ND fans might like.  It's quite different from CW ND, but I love the teen characters and the mystery/suspense involved.  I would have never watched it if not for reading comments about CW ND.

I am now more inclined to check media based on children's and teen books, and it's because of this show.  I watched The Baby-Sitters Club on Netflix and loved it.  I have only read a few Baby-Sitters Club books and am not a fan of the book series.  But my rudimentary knowledge greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the show. 

I watched the Netflix movie trilogy based on R. L. Stine's Fear Street books.  I dislike Stine's writing style, so I'm not a fan of the books at all.  However, I enjoyed the trilogy a lot even though it does have some gruesome kills that are not to my taste.  

I have also been introduced to modern music via these shows that I never otherwise would have heard.  

The CW ND viewing experience has been very positive for me, and I wish that other people didn't feel the need to tear us down for watching the show. 

We are allowed to watch frivolous modern entertainment that is completely different from the book series.

No comments: