Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Early Betty Gordon Dust Jackets

All fifteen volumes of the Betty Gordon series were printed with this style of dust jacket:


For a time, I thought that the above dust jacket was the only type of dust jacket used for the Betty Gordon series. After I learned of an earlier format, I began trying to find one and was finally able to purchase one of them:


I was beginning to wonder when I would ever be able to find one. I was happy that no one else bid on the auction. I made some good purchases in December!

Since this dust jacket is for volume six, I can safely assume that at least volumes one through six were printed with this style of dust jacket. These dust jackets are very scarce and much harder to find than the second style of dust jacket.

Notice that RUTH FIELDING is quite LARGE on the dust jacket. This is a good example of the heavy cross promotion of the Betty Gordon and Ruth Fielding series.

Betty Gordon is a mostly unknown early series and one of my favorites. I feel like all series book enthusiasts should check out Betty Gordon. Follow this link

http://www.readseries.com/joslaw/bgch1.htm

for the text of the first Betty Gordon book. Many of the early series books are in the public domain and are readily available online without having to spend a cent.

No comments: