Sunday, January 25, 2009

Google Chrome

I downloaded the Google Chrome browser to use in the "new and improved" My eBay. I found myself refusing to do searches on Saturday until I found another way. That is how much I hate the way my saved searches page functions in Firefox, and it is all eBay's fault for messing it up.

The download page for Google Chrome is here:

Google Chrome

Most people are likely content with the speed of their current browsers on eBay, but I highly recommend that you download either Google Chrome or Firefox if you are having any problems with the new version of My eBay. As people have stated on eBay's message boards, users should not have to download a new browser, but eBay's shortsightedness forces us to do so or we must waste time on a slow site. Do it, and you will not regret it. I still plan to use Firefox for everything but eBay, since I love Firefox.

My problems are solved. My saved searches pages loads just as fast as it once did, and my saved searches load very quickly. Thank you, Google, and no thanks to eBay! There is something wrong with eBay when users are forced to find alternate ways to effectively use the site's features. It is quite sad, actually.

For Internet Explorer users who need a better browser for eBay, I first recommend that Firefox be tried since it is more like Internet Explorer than Google Chrome is. Firefox can be downloaded here:

Mozilla Firefox

Firefox is based on some of the old source code for the now-defunct Netscape Navigator browser, which is what most people used on the internet in the mid-1990s. Firefox is faster and more stable than Internet Explorer on most websites.

I especially like the fact that Firefox blocks just about 100% of the ads and pop-up windows. I have never found that Internet Explorer does as well at blocking ads and pop-ups.

I notice that Google Chrome does let some of the ads through, and I am not certain whether I can tweak it to avoid the ads. Even though I now see ads in my eBay search results pages, which is why I switched to Firefox several years ago, Google Chrome is loading the search results faster than Firefox does after eBay's overhaul and destruction of My eBay.

To summarize, I must now use Google Chrome for my eBay searches because eBay has done something to mess up Firefox's speed and has caused Internet Explorer to be completely unusable within My eBay. Google Chrome is not perfect, but it is the only way I can use eBay until eBay comes to its senses, which will probably be never.

At some point back in the fall, I suggested that eBay was likely in the middle of the end of its self-inflicted destruction. I feel like eBay is now approaching the end of the end.

Do consider trying Bonanzle. Other people are beginning to list their series books there, so the selection of books is improving.

No comments: