Thursday, September 12, 2024

Nancy Drew #5 Secret at Shadow Ranch with 1st Printing DJ eBay Auction

I wrote a post in 2019 about the first printing of Shadow Ranch.

Nancy Drew Early First Printing Values and Avoiding Buyer Regret

In that post, I detailed how I purchased this first printing book and jacket of Shadow Ranch for $750.00.

Most people apparently weren't interested, since the jacket isn't perfect.  It was a significant upgrade for me, and I was happy with it.  

In the above linked post, I made this observation:

These days, few people are seeking the early first printing Nancy Drew books with dust jackets.  Actually, everyone would love to own them, but only a handful of collectors are willing to spend the serious cash necessary in order to acquire the jackets.  I have recently concluded that the handful of collectors who currently seek the early first printing jackets only want examples in very good or better condition.  This means that the dust jackets in great shape are still very expensive when they show up for sale.  The dust jackets in rough shape do not sell except at lower prices.  That's an interesting turn of events.  

The good news is that those collectors who are willing to settle for less-than-perfect first printing jackets can luck into copies at reasonable prices.  I also commented in my previous post that I have been criticized for being willing to purchase examples in rough shape.  That's nobody's business.  My collection is mine alone, and I decide what I want to put in it.

A first printing copy of Shadow Ranch in dust jacket sold recently on eBay.  The seller provided photographs, but did not photograph as thoroughly as they should have.  Not all of the dust jacket was shown.  The suboptimal photos likely held back the final bid price.

The seller did not provide enough information for us to know which printing the book is, but the jacket is definitely the first printing jacket.  Since the first few printings of Shadow Ranch have the same book, the book is most likely the first printing.  The auction closed at $1,375.08.

Click on the images in order to see them at a higher resolution.









This book and jacket might be in better shape than the one that I purchased for $750.00.  The front panel chipping is less, but the seller didn't show what the back panel looks like from the front side.  If it's fine, then the jacket that just sold is probably in better shape. 

I saw the listing soon after it was listed and decided that I wasn't interested.  After it sold for $1,375.08, I wondered if I should have at least considered trying to win the auction.  I then decided no, it wasn't worth it to me.  The jacket might be nicer than mine, but I would have to have outbid the person who won the auction.  That might have only taken only a bid increment or so.  I might also have had to pay a lot more than the winning bid.  

Based on the feedback number of the winning bidder, 23931, the winning bidder is a prolific eBay user.  Most people above 20,000 feedback tend to be high-volume buyers and sellers.  Not all, of course, but there's a pretty good chance.  I've been very active on eBay continually since 1997, and I'm still at under 8,300 feedback.

I'm fortunate because I've been so active on eBay.  When I'm curious, I use my own feedback to search for the feedback numbers of winning bidders so that I can figure out who won the auction.  This doesn't always work; but if I've had a transaction with the winning bidder, then I'll be able to figure it out. 

I set my feedback to 200 results per page and searched for 23931.  About halfway through my feedback, I found a hit.  Shadow Ranch was almost certainly purchased to resell, and it will likely show back up on eBay soon.  A prolific buyer and seller of first printing Nancy Drew books and Gibraltar hardcover Three Investigators books was the winner of the auction under a secondary ID.  This is a hint if you're familiar with eBay sellers. 

I didn't find a hit for the Lilac Inn second printing auction, so I believe that book was sold to someone who wanted it for their collection.  If so, they made a good purchase.

No comments: