Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Nancy Drew 1940s Style Library Binding #1 Old Clock and #3 Bungalow Mystery

This is some old news that I never wrote up.  Early this year, two more examples of the Nancy Drew 1940s Style Library Binding surfaced.

Back in January, a copy of Nancy Drew #1 The Secret of the Old Clock in the 1940s Style Library Binding surfaced on eBay.  Fortunately, I saved a screen capture of the listing for whenever I felt like finally writing up a post.  The book was listed as an auction with a starting bid price of $500.  It closed at $580.


In April, collector Austin Stanley was very fortunate to find a copy of #3 The Bungalow Mystery in the 1940s Style Library Binding for $5.


This is my updated list of the known examples of this binding.  

  #1 two (mine and one sold on eBay in Jan. 2022) 
  #2 three (mine and two others)
  #3 two (mine and one that surfaced in April 2022)
  #4 one (mine)
  #5 two (mine and one that I sold years ago)
  #6 one (mine)
  #7 one (mine)
  #8 one (mine)
  #9 one (owned by someone else)
#10 two (both owned by someone else)
#11 one (mine)
#13 one (owned by someone else)
#15 two (one that sold on eBay and another owned by someone else)
#16 two (both owned by someone else)

I have mentioned before how rare these books are, and the scarcity does warrant the use of the word "rare."  Only 22 books ranging from #1 to #16 have surfaced in the 18 years that I have been aware of these books.  Consider how many of the books have just one known copy.  None of the books have more than three known copies.  Only a small number of people have ever laid hands on one of these books.  Most of the books known to exist are owned by just two people.  I have nine books, and another person has eight books.  Only five books are in the hands of others. 

A recent post on Facebook saw another person proclaim that they must find these books.  I can see where the value could climb even more.  I hope someday that I stumble across a stack of the ones I still need.  I live in hope.

No comments: