Friday, August 31, 2018

Linden Hall, Heron Shoals, and Missing Half by Augusta Seaman

In The Mystery at Linden Hall, Prince Lucien Morat is the nephew of the exiled King of Spain, Joseph Bonaparte.  Morat's wife is the headmistress of a boarding school in Bordentown, New Jersey.  Verity lives across the street from the school, and soon, her life becomes intertwined with Inez, a foreign student at the school.

I tend not to like Seaman's books that weave actual historical figures into the plot of the fictitious story.  For that reason, I did not enjoy this book.  The story is okay, and I am sure that others like the story.

In The Curious Affair at Heron Shoals, Marty lives with her grandmother on the coast of New Jersey.  Marty resents her grandmother taking in three boarders, Ted, his father, and his music teacher.  Marty is asked to find a way to get Ted to forget about his troubles, so she tells him about her grandmother's pet parrot, Thusy.  Marty's grandmother acts nervous whenever the parrot is mentioned and will never reveal how the parrot came to live with her.  Ted is enthusiastic, and the two young people work hard at solving the mystery.

This is a good book overall, but I was never very interested.  For some reason, the story didn't really grab my attention.

In The Missing Half, the Porter family comes to live in the old family mansion at Bordentown.  Half the mansion has been wrecked, and nobody knows why.  Cousin Zeke, who lives nearby, is said to be the owner of the house, but Gramp Porter insists that his side of the family was supposed to inherit the home.  The young people help Gramp search for the missing half of a will that bequeathed the home to their side of the family.

This is another book that I did not find very interesting.  The problem was that the story contains way too much detailed information about pretty much everything.

I might add that during these books my Augusta Seaman reading experience began to wear on me.  This almost always happens to me when I read all of the books from the same series or by the same author in rapid succession.

Some of you are probably wondering why I do that to myself.  This is because I know that I would likely never get back to the books if I quit.  I still haven't returned to my unfinished reading of the Grace Harlowe series.  It's been 7 1/2 years.  That's why I make myself finish each set, since I probably would never get back to them.

No comments: