Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Above Standard or Standard Seller

I decided to check my Seller Dashboard on eBay. I know; checking the Seller Dashboard is never a good idea. I noticed that my performance standard has changed from Above Standard Seller to Standard Seller. I was mystified as to why the level changed. The Seller Dashboard has the following message.
We've recently added a new "Standard" level for sellers who meet our minimum performance standards, but who have fewer than 100 annual transactions or whose average detailed seller ratings are less than 4.60. Although your level has changed from "Above Standard" to "Standard", your performance remains in good standing.
Exactly what does that mean? I wanted more information, and it took multiple clicks to get to the full explanation (multiple clicks means more page views: see this post).
If you look at the Global standards preview in your dashboard right now, you may notice the addition of the "Standard" performance level. This will be coming to the main dashboard in May for US, UK, Germany and Global standards.

Both Above Standard and Standard seller performance levels have the same requirements for the rates or counts of 1s and 2s on DSRs. However, Above Standard also requires a minimum average DSR of 4.60 across all four DSRs, as well as 100 or more transactions over the past 12 months. Whether you have an "Above Standard" or "Standard" performance rating, you are meeting eBay's minimum selling standards and are in good standing. There are no consequences for moving from Above Standard to Standard.
Mmm, okay. The difference is that Above Standard has more than 100 transactions in the last year, and Standard does not. Furthermore, Standard can have lower DSRs. Somehow I am not reassured. I get why eBay has two classifications, yet at the same item, I do not get it. I have been through enough with eBay to be suspicious of any change in my performance standard.

On a related topic, it is crucial that sellers avoid getting low DSRs, since eBay has such high expectations. I have mentioned in the past my problems with other sellers of series books leaving me low DSRs on purpose—multiple times. I am not mistaken about it.

I have decided that if I am ever left low DSRs again by a seller of series books that I will place that person on a buyer block. Since I know that a buyer block would lead to a confrontation, I am attempting to avoid it by setting my prices slightly above what I think other sellers would be willing to pay.

This is why I am less likely to give away certain books. I would love to place some of my lots on eBay at very low prices, but at the same time, I am trying to avoid being hurt by another seller. It is unfortunate that eBay's DSR system is used to harm others, and my situation is a prime example of how the DSR system causes buyers to have to pay higher prices.

Keep in mind that I have no problem with people buying books from me to resell; just don't leave me low DSRs to hurt me.

2 comments:

Brandi said...

Amen. :)

stratomiker said...

EBay probably has no idea how their silly system is used by some sellers to make other sellers look bad, or to get revenge on others. This has been going on since the beginning, and it certainly can change the way you do things.

At one time a wannabe Hardy Boys guru was bidding on my books with a seller name that was my actual name. It made it look like I was openly bidding on my own books, and it caused a lot of problems. EBay was not interested in hearing about it.

At other times I've recieved negatives from guide makers and their cohorts because I wasn't quoting from their guides. They would actually buy books just in order to leave me 'revenge negatives'. Their friends were given books in exchange for buying from me and leaving negs.

Others, as you pointed out, buy from you at lower prices to resell higher, and then give negs or low DSRs to make you look bad, thinking it'll somehow help them sell more.

The whole feedback and rating system is childish and ridiculous and, as far as I know, most people don't pay much attention to it knowing how it can so easily be used unfairly.

Mike