Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Crazy Cherry Ames Ski Nurse Auction

I know the last Cherry Ames book is a bit hard to find, but...

Cherry Ames Ski Nurse Mystery Helen Wells 1968 1st Ed Item #170310713073

What in the heck? Why would someone want to pay $903.66 for one? According to the seller's feedback left page, the buyer actually paid for the book! Since I discovered the buyer's full ID by checking the seller's feedback, I decided to see what else the buyer has bought—all Cherry Ames and other nurse stories, but mostly low-priced ones.

As I checked the buyer's items purchased list, I decided that he or she must have really wanted Ski Nurse badly. However, a couple days before winning the above auction, the buyer purchased a Ski Nurse at $150.00. The buyer made many bids on the above auction after purchasing the other Ski Nurse. This person must have more disposable income than I do. Two Ski Nurses, and nearly $1,000 for one of them? Really?

6 comments:

Lenora said...

If only that buyer had been around when I sold my copy!

Amy Sisson said...

I wonder if the buyer wanted the second copy purchased more -- but bought the first one in case he/she didn't get the second.

Still, that's pretty crazy.....

I've been enjoying your Bonanzle posts -- very informative. Thanks!

rachel said...

WOW!! That person must really have money to burn!

rachel said...

To add to this discussion, I just read that (apparently) a complete set of Sally Baxter's in good condition could be worth $1000! That's amazing considering what they were originally sold for!

Lenora said...

That figure for Sally Baxter seems very off to me. The expense in collecting that series is mostly for Americans paying postage from the UK and Australia, which usually equals (or exceeds!) the cost of the books. There are many copies in dj for less than $10 USD on ABE right now, and unlike a lot of series, there's not a must-have, super rare/expensive title that would make a complete set very valuable. $1000 would average out to $62.50 per book, which is just outrageous. I think you could do it for about 25% of that.

rachel said...

Yes,it probably is abit outragous. I found the figure on an article about a lady who sells second hand books and has had requests from people for her to just 'find them a set of Shirley's or Sara's or Sally's'! I think that would just take away the whole book hunting thrill don't you think?