Saturday, May 30, 2009

A Little about Patsy and Pudge

I have skimmed through the outline for Patsy and Pudge at the Circus, and it reminds me a lot of The Brownie Scouts in the Circus. I will have to re-read The Brownie Scouts in the Circus to verify the similarities. I also have several of the Brownie Scouts outlines, so it looks like I may have to re-read all of the Brownie Scouts books in order to fully appreciate these outlines.

It is very good that the outlines are for the Brownie Scouts series rather than Wirt's Dan Carter series. I do not particularly care for the Dan Carter series. In the Dan Carter series, the boys are continually forced to prove themselves innocent of wrongdoing and are overly concerned about doing the right thing. It was a bit repetitious for me, and I do not care ever to read the Dan Carter books again.

On the other hand, the Brownie Scouts series is surprisingly good for a series that centers around scouting activities and is aimed at young children. I tend not to like series that are aimed at young children, like the Bobbsey Twins series, so it is unusual that I like the Brownie Scouts series as much as I do.

A rough draft of a letter to the publisher is also included with the Patsy and Pudge summary. It was on the back of another page, and I was surprised to find it. The letter indicates to me that the Patsy and Pudge summary must be from the 1940s and must be from before the Brownie Scouts series was published. In the rough draft of the letter, Benson actually mentions that she writes (she stated "I write" - present tense) "the Nancy Drew stories." This is a gem. I will place excerpts of the letter in a future post. This is so exciting. Gosh I wish I could have purchased all of those documents...

2 comments:

Billy Sugarfix said...

Really enjoying your blog and site. I'm wondering which series books feature illustrations. I know that the Nancy Drew books do, but have noticed that the Connie Blair book and the Doris Force book that I have do not. Are there any series known for having illustrations, or certain editions? Will check back for a reply comment or you can email me-
billysugarfixATgmaildotcom

Jennifer White said...

Go to my website at www.series-books.com for some information about illustrations. I will confess that the information is incomplete for some of the different series.

In general, the earlier series books or earlier printings of those books tend to have more illustrations than the later series books or later printings. The Altemus and Donohoe printings of Doris Force have the illustrations while the Goldsmith editions do not. I have the illustrations for Doris Force pictured on my website.

The same is true for Perry Pierce. The Altemus and Donohoe editions have the illustrations, and the Goldsmith editions do not.

Some of the early series books such as the Blythe Girls (Grosset and Dunlap printings only) and the Moving Picture Girls also have illustrations scattered throughout the text.

All Trixie Belden books printed before the 1970s have lots of illustrations scattered throughout the books. The same is true for the Happy Hollisters books.

The very early thick purple Dana Girls books have four glossy illustrations.

These are the main ones that come to mind right now, but there are others.