Friday, January 4, 2008

Ruth Fielding Titles

Yesterday I posted a message in which I mentioned my dissatisfaction with the Ruth Fielding titles. While I feel like most of the titles could have been better, there are a few scattered titles which I feel are sorely lacking.

In keeping with the format of the existing titles, I would change volume 29 Ruth Fielding and Her Greatest Triumph to Ruth Fielding at Legend Island. Legend Island is the setting for volume 29, and it sounds so much more interesting than Greatest Triumph. How many greatest triumphs and victories can Ruth possibly have?

I would also change volume 16 from Ruth Fielding Down East to Ruth Fielding in Maine. I have difficulty in comprehending Maine as "down east" since I live in the south central United States. To me, Ruth Fielding in the East would have made more sense.

Finally, I would change volume 20 from Ruth Fielding in the Far North to Ruth Fielding in the Yukon. By changing Far North to Yukon, it makes the location sound different from that of volume 22 Ruth Fielding in Alaska.

I have not read any of volume 30 Ruth Fielding and Her Crowning Victory yet, but since I know what the setting is, I would probably change the title to Ruth Fielding Travels Abroad.

By the way, volume 29 Ruth Fielding and Her Greatest Triumph reads a lot like many of the Beverly Gray books. Ruth is on Legend Island in the Pacific Ocean, and the island is inhabited by crazy, superstitious natives who think that Ruth is bringing evil to the island. Since Beverly Gray is one of my all-time favorite series, I'm really enjoying Ruth Fielding and Her Greatest Triumph.

No comments: