Saturday, January 26, 2008

Betty Gordon - The Prototype for Trixie Belden

In the past, I have read comments that Betty Gordon and her friends Bobby and Libbie are prototypes for Nancy, Bess, and George of the Nancy Drew series. While this is true to an extent, I see Betty Gordon more as a prototype for Trixie Belden. As I read the first book, Betty Gordon at Bramble Farm, I was especially struck by several strong similarities to the Trixie Belden series. I continue to notice similarities as I now read the sixth book, Betty Gordon at Ocean Park.

In Betty Gordon at Bramble Farm, Betty goes to stay at Bramble Farm, which is run by a mean old miser, Mr. Peabody. Mr. Peabody keeps a poorhouse boy, Bob Henderson, whom he beats ruthlessly. Betty and Bob become close friends and decide to run away from Bramble Farm.

In the Trixie Belden series, Trixie Belden lives on a farm named Crabapple Farm. Additionally, in Trixie Belden and the Secret of the Mansion, a mean old miser, Mr. Frayne, lives near Trixie's home. Mr. Frayne's nephew, Jim Frayne, shows up on the Frayne property looking for his uncle. Jim has run away from home in order to escape from his cruel stepfather who beats him. This makes Jim the victim of cruelty just like Bob Henderson. It is also hinted at times that Trixie is Jim's special girl. Likewise, I get the impression that Betty Gordon and Bob Henderson may eventually be more than just friends.

Betty Gordon's personality is very similar to Trixie's personality. Trixie angers easily, often fails to think before she makes thoughtless statements, and has a knack for taking chances and getting herself into trouble. Trixie is also a tomboy. In Betty Gordon at Bramble Farm, Betty remarks, "I haven't really played with dolls since we moved from the city. I like outdoor things." Later, Betty confesses, "I have a temper, Uncle Dick. I get so raging mad! If I don't tell you, some one else will, or else you'll see me 'acting up,' as Mrs. Arnold says, before you go. So I thought I'd better tell you."

On pages 12-13 of Betty Gordon at Ocean Park, Betty Gordon is described as follows:

Impulsive she was, and rather daring and reckless, but her determination and her ability to carry through a thing once it was begun, tempered that natural impatience and impulsiveness. Her character was more rounded than that of most girls of her age, and she won the confidence of older people because of such attributes.

Some of the banter between Betty and her friends reminds me of the banter between Trixie Belden and the other Bob-Whites. On page 9 of Betty Gordon at Ocean Park, Betty's friend Louise exclaims, "Elucidate, Miss Know-It-All!" I can't help thinking of Mart Belden.

Betty Gordon attends Shadyside School, and the name reminds me of Trixie Belden's hometown of Sleepyside. Trixie Belden attends Sleepyside Junior-Senior High. Last, Betty is about the same age as Trixie Belden. Betty is twelve years old at the beginning of the first book and is thirteen to fourteen years old by the sixth book.

2 comments:

Stephanie Reed said...

Gleeps! How can they be any more alike than that? Who wrote Betty Gordon? I'm kind of disappointed to knkow Trixie wasn't as original as I thought, but I still love those first six books...

Anonymous said...

i need number 16 to 39 on trixie belden, does anybody have them for sale