Saturday, August 31, 2024

The Last Witness by Claire McFall

The Last Witness by Claire McFall was published by Sourcebooks Fire on January 7, 2020.  It was previously published under the title Black Cairn Point: Where Darkness Grows by Hot Key in 2015.

Publisher's summary:

From award-winning author Claire McFall comes a chilling psychological thriller about the sole survivor of a camping trip gone wrong and the truth behind that weekend, perfect for fans of Natasha Preston.

Heather agrees to go camping with Dougie and his friends because she's desperate to get closer to him, and a secluded beach sounds like the perfect place.  But the trip takes a sinister turn that brings Heather's plans to a violent end.

One by one, the group begins to vanish.

A year later, Heather knows she's just lucky to be alive.  And now, people are asking for answers, or else she will be the one to take the blame.  But the truth about what happened on that trip is far more terrifying than anyone knows…

A great pick for thriller readers looking for:

  • paranormal suspense
  • young adult horror
  • mystery books best sellers

I had read the free sample on Amazon on a previous occasion and declined to read the book.  This time the sample seemed okay.  I still wasn't sure and looked at some reviews.  The reviews made the book sound really good, and the premise sounded interesting.  I decided to take a chance.

The book is much better once the young people arrive at their camping destination on the shore, which is shortly after the free sample ends.  The samples nowadays on Amazon are not long enough to make a decision.  They now strictly cut the samples at 10% due to the copyright law.  This is understandable, but with long books, I really need more than 10% to make a decision.  Many authors take forever to get the plot started.

The book switches between the present with Heather in a doctor's office being questioned and a retelling of what happened.  

I saw in reviews that only two teens came back from the outing and that three didn't.  I had no idea who came back aside from Heather.  The publisher's summary makes it sounds like something supernatural could be at play.  This vague information made me very curious.

The book is very suspenseful and interesting.  The story is creepy.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book up until the last chapter.  I'm not happy about how the story ended.  Even though the book is overall excellent, I finished the book feeling disappointed and displeased.  The ending ruined it for me.  

I have completely rewritten the end of this post several times, as I have struggled with how to convey information about how the book ended.

This is a spoiler and will likely cause most people who read this review not to want to read the book.  Honestly, I wish I hadn't read the book.  The book is fine until just the last few pages when the reader suddenly learns that the narrator was unreliable... that the entire book was not what actually happened. 

This was a waste of time.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book until the last few pages, when the author tears it apart.  Just, why?  I do not recommend this book unless you enjoy manipulation and deception.  

No comments: