Friday, October 14, 2022

Nancy Drew Library Edition Auctions and a Soapbox Moment

I no longer know how to price Nancy Drew library editions due to the greatly increased interest.  I cannot sell them at fixed prices until I gain an understanding of what they are worth.

To clarify, I need to gain an understanding of what the Nancy Drew library editions are worth when I sell them.  I tend to get less for my books than other sellers do. This is because I don't gush about my books and pretend that they are in better condition than they actually are. 

I am continually amazed to see books for sale that have clear signs of wear and tear and yet are described as "pristine."  Not only that, but people don't see books in photos for what they actually are.  Take this photo of mine that is of the first Nancy Drew books that were given to me when I was a young child.


When I posted this awhile back on Facebook, I was praised at how I took such good care of my childhood books.  It was said that the books were in "pristine" condition.  I cringed and didn't respond.  The unwarranted praise took away most of the enjoyment I received from the other comments made on the post.  I was left feeling a bit empty inside.

Enlarge the photo by clicking on it, and take a really good look at the spines.  The books have fairly strong spine slant.  The lower spines have noticeable wear.  The books are not pristine.  I would say that the books have moderate wear and are in "good" condition at best.

I most certainly did not take good care of my childhood Nancy Drew books.  The books still exist, and I do still have them.  In that respect, I took good care of them.  In other ways, I did not. 

My childhood books are worn.  They were much loved, and they were read many times.  I wasn't careful with them.  I used some of my childhood Nancy Drew books to prop up a broken bed post.  I felt so chagrined and shamed to be told how I took such good care of my books and how I was such a careful child.  No, I wasn't.

My point is that people see what they want in photos.  When sellers gush over their books, buyers see books that are in better condition than what they are. 

I take the opposite approach.  I strive to be blunt about the condition and very often overstate the flaws on purpose.  I try to avoid having my buyers be disappointed like I have been so very many times.

Back to the original question:  What are Nancy Drew library editions worth when I sell them?  Are they worth much at all?  Will my blunt descriptions cause the books to have lower value than when other people sell them and gush about the books?

I want to find out.  I selected some of my extra Nancy Drew library editions to place in auctions.  I selected books in varying condition and with different binding styles.  I arranged the books according to different price points.


The plan was to price the books on the far left the lowest, and the ones towards the right the highest.  I believe that the cameo binding style which uses white and black (and sometimes brown) on the cover illustration is the most desirable subtype of that binding style.  That is why I think that Wooden Lady is worth the most of the books seen in the above photo.  I will find out whether others agree with me about that.

The books have been listed.  


It will be interesting to see whether I just get the opening bid prices or whether any of the auctions close at higher prices.  Many collectors won't want my books, because they only want library editions if the books are perfect.  That's unrealistic for books that by their very nature are library discards, but it's how most collectors feel.

Imagine if all collectors could overlook condition.  The books would end up selling at extreme prices.  That won't happen, and it's amazing that the prices have gone up as much as they have based on how few collectors can overlook the condition of library discards.

Among the books I have listed are a few that have the bottom corners of some of the pages torn off.  For me as a library binding collector, that is of no concern whatsoever.  I collect the binding, which means that I care most about the exterior of the book, not the condition of the interior.  The inside of library editions tends to be rough.

Since many collectors cannot overlook the condition, they won't want the books with torn off page edges.  That is good news for those of you who think like me.  You'll have less competition.

Nancy Drew Library Edition Auctions

Jennifer's Series Books on eBay

No comments: