Sunday, April 24, 2022

Late April Listing Update

As I mentioned in my previous post, sales are currently low on eBay and Etsy.  There are multiple reasons why this is the case, and I covered some of them in my last post.  Another reason is the search algorithm.  Sites have parameters that determine the placement of items in the search results.  One parameter is tied to new listings.  

If a store does not list new items frequently, then that store's existing listings will receive lower placement in the search results.  I reflected on that situation today and concluded that I probably hadn't listed any items in around five weeks.  My lack of new listings has caused lower sales.

I wanted to list some books today, but I struggled to motivate myself, which is in fact part of a vicious circle.  When I don't list books, my sales decrease.  When my sales decrease, I don't feel motivated to list books.  The situation then worsens.

I spent some time in the late afternoon trying to decide if I should force myself to list on Etsy or on eBay.  I leaned towards Etsy, which is exactly why I decided that I should go with eBay.  I feel that the situation is worse on eBay.  That's why I'm more motivated to list on Etsy, which is why I should instead list on eBay.  I need to break the vicious circle.

I then struggled to decide what to list on eBay.  I wasn't motivated to list more of what is already not selling.  I finally realized that I could list Hardy Boys books.  My picture covers had sold out, and I could also list quite a few Wanderer softcover books.

That is what I did, and I really had to force myself to do it.  I took no joy in the process and felt like I was wasting my time.  Nevertheless, I got the books listed.

Jennifer's Series Books on eBay

I did go into Etsy and lower the prices of my most expensive books.  The ones originally priced at above $100 were all reduced by either $25 or $50.

Jennifer's Series Books on Etsy

I have a large number of tweed Nancy Drew books both with and without dust jackets that I need to list on Etsy.  These books are my best sellers on Etsy, especially the tweed books without dust jackets.  People love them.

Perhaps next weekend I can force myself to list on Etsy.

I also have quite a few Rick Brant books (actually most of the set) that I need to list as well as a variety of other books.  Much of it likely will not be listed until school is out for the summer.  Teacher Record Day is four weeks from tomorrow.

It occurred to me that I could mention my stores in one of the Facebook selling groups, and that would probably result in some sales.  For now, I'm not going to do that.  I don't like promoting my stores in the groups, for two reasons. 

First, I don't like promoting myself to people who don't follow me.  This blog is different since those who read it choose to follow me.  This is my space, and anyone here has an interest in what I write or what I do.  I am comfortable with self-promotion here in this blog.

I also don't like promoting myself in the Facebook groups because of some of the odd responses.  Facebook members have become very lazy.  They get in the groups and ask basic questions that can be answered by a simple Google search.  When I mentioned my online stores in the group last summer, people asked me if I had certain books for sale.  They were apparently too lazy to follow the links to see what I had.  What I had for sale was what I had for sale in my stores.  It shouldn't have been hard to figure out.

If someone is too lazy to follow the link, then they are probably too lazy to make a purchase.  I get better results mentioning my stores in this blog than I do when I mention them in the Facebook group.  I also don't get the lazy questions in this blog, and I thank you for that.

No comments: