Monday, April 11, 2022

My eBay and Etsy Stores Are Temporarily Closed

Today a torque test was done on my dental implants.  The implants passed the test, and I will be fitted for crowns next week.  I did not expect the torque test to hurt like it did.  I had brief but intense pain.  In addition, my gums are always very sensitive, and that part of my mouth is now sore and probably will be for several days.  I have concluded that I will have discomfort and possibly more lingering soreness next week when I am fitted for the crowns.

Long story short, I felt a bit disgruntled as I drove home from my appointment.  I also forgot to drop off my packages at the post office, so I had to drive back.  That was the second time in the last week that I drove by the post office, forgot to stop to drop off my packages, and then had to drive back.  That left me feeling quite annoyed. 

I always stack my packages in the passenger front seat so that I don't risk forgetting to drop them off.  That I actually have ignored the pile of packages twice in the last week is a very bad sign.  I am making more mistakes than usual.  This means that I don't need to be selling right now.  

I decided to take a break from selling, and I got all of my listings deactivated earlier today.  The plan is to be closed for two weeks minimum.  Depending upon how I feel in two weeks, the closure could extend to a bit longer.

I was dismayed awhile later when I realized that people will think that I'm taking part in the Etsy strike.  No, no!  I understand why some sellers are upset, but striking isn't going to change anything.  I will just make sure that my prices are high enough to cover the fees, which is what I always do.  Etsy is still cheaper than eBay.  I can deal with it.

Little things can add up over time; they are cumulative.  The school year is like that as well, and we have reached the point in the school year where everything is wearing on everybody.

I have had several instances lately where prospective buyers have been difficult.  Again, these instances alone are nothing, but they have a cumulative impact on me.

One buyer asked if a copy of the Three Investigators book, The Secret of Phantom Lake, was a first printing.  I made no remark in my listing about whether it was.  I know why I didn't.  The book has a musty odor, so it's not a collectible copy.  Anyway, the book isn't the first printing.  I told the buyer that it isn't because it has the full series list inside.  According to Seth's Three Investigators first printing page, the first printing only has #17-20 listed inside.  I mentioned Seth's site to the buyer as my reason.  I know that the book isn't the first printing.  

So, the buyer asked for a photo of the copyright page.  I'm not sure what a photo would prove.  There isn't a number line, and I know that the book isn't the first printing because of the list page.  I sent the photo.

The buyer then asked for a discount.  At that point, I was done.  My listings say that I don't accept offers, and I don't.  I didn't reply.

Another buyer from Slovakia wanted to purchase a Three Investigators book and have me mark it as a gift on the customs declaration.

Buyer:

hi there. any chance that we can make a deal? i want avoid fees in slovakia, so wanna pay but send you like a present, so declared price is lower. thank for answer

Me:

I create my postage labels through eBay, and I don't think I can hide the value of the item.

Buyer:

Well i wanted to avoid extra money u will pay to this site, but i dont have problem to buy it here. I would just like to ask you, if u can send it as "gift". Otherwise they will delay this order unless i prove them few documents and pay tax. Its not that much about 10 or 15 euros, but about annoying process i would like to avoid.

So if u agree, i will buy it and you just send it to me without stating price, so it gets to me without problems.

Me:

I am nearly certain that I will not be able to mark it as a gift on the form that I will fill out for eBay. I do not believe that is an option with eBay's global shipping program.

Buyer:

Hi again. Hmm when i once sold smthing, i just packed it and sent it, so im not sure hows that ebay shippment working and why there has to be anything. and what about just fair trade - i send you cash u send me book?

I haven't responded.  I took the time to find a completed international transaction that is in my account.  I initiated a shipping label.  All I can do is ship the item to eBay's Kentucky global shipping facility.  I cannot declare it as a gift.  

I don't feel comfortable dodging the import/export laws, but that aside, I simply do not have the option to mark the item as a gift.  It isn't possible with eBay's global shipping program.

I am using eBay's global shipping program at this time partly because of the pandemic and partly because it's easier.  USPS is not currently shipping to some countries, and the global shipping program allows me to do so.  Furthermore, by using the global shipping program, I don't have to figure out the international postage fee.  eBay handles that part and charges the buyer appropriately.  

I have had a few other instances of buyers being very pushy about getting a discount.  One buyer wanted me to discount a book.  When I declined, they then asked for a discount along with another book free.  They later came back again with another request.  When this happens, I hold firm and do not discount.  I don't like being harassed.  

Cumulative, indeed.  All of these events together add to my stress, which is already high because of school.  Therefore, I'm taking a much-deserved break from selling.  

3 comments:

Trent Clegg said...

I'm sorry to read you've been dealing with all these things. I hope all goes well with your dental work! I also hope you find rejuvenation in your selling haitus.

mikchick said...

so am I but I was really wanting to buy your Nancy Drew the Clue of the broken locket with the picture cover but original text for my granddaughter; she's trying to collect them all and she's up to that one but has no idea of the 2 different versions as I didn't but guess we can just wait; hope things go well

Jennifer White said...

I understand. It's disappointing and annoying when an item becomes unavailable, even if only temporarily. If I can get past next week, then I may reopen. I have had to stay quite late at work both yesterday and today and most likely will again tomorrow just to stay afloat. Being out this Monday and again Thursday of next week is causing me extra work and stress. Things will get better. Thank you for your understanding. :)