Friday, October 19, 2018

The Adventurous Allens Series in Dust Jacket

I finally acquired a copy of The Adventurous Allens Marooned in dust jacket, which means that I now have all five Adventurous Allens books in dust jacket.





I know what some of you are thinking.  You recall that my reading of this series was akin to torture and that I will never read another book by Harriet Pyne Grove.  That is true.  However, I am also fondly attracted to these books, even though I keep no other books by Harriet Pyne Grove in my collection and avoid all of her books like the plague.

The reason is quite simple.  I own the original cover art to the fifth Adventurous Allens book.  Read "A Mystery Solved" from December 28, 2008.


I can't help but feel a fondness for the series when the cover art to the fifth book hangs on my wall.

The premise of the Adventurous Allens series is excellent.  The first three books are pretty good, even though reading Harriet Pyne Grove's prose is difficult.  The last two books are the ones that tortured me.  Below are links to my reviews of the series.

"The Adventurous Allens" from September 15, 2010
"The Adventurous Allens Part 2" from September 16, 2010
"The Adventurous Allens Find Mystery" from October 1, 2010
"The Adventurous Allens Afloat" from October 8, 2010
"The Adventurous Allens Marooned" from October 23, 2010
"The Adventurous Allens' Treasure Hunt" from October 25, 2010
"Adventurous Allens Final Thoughts" from October 26, 2010

The series was revised and reprinted as the Penny Allen series. 

"Penny Allen and the Mystery of the Haunted House" from October 31, 2010
"Penny Allen and the Mystery of the Hidden Treasure" from November 2, 2010

The revised books are much better than Harriet Pyne Grove's original text.  If you are interested in reading the story of the Adventurous Allens, then consider reading the Penny Allen books.  They are very good. 

No comments: