Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Meg Duncan #1 Disappearing Diamonds and #2 Witch's Stairway

The Meg Duncan series consists of six books first published by Whitman in hardcover and later reprinted by Golden Press in softcover.

1.  Meg and the Disappearing Diamonds, 1967
2.  The Secret of the Witch's Stairway, 1967
3.  The Treasure Nobody Saw, 1967
4.  The Ghost of Hidden Springs, 1970
5.  The Mystery of the Black Magic Cave, 1971
6.  Mystery in Williamsburg, 1972

These books are aimed at a slightly younger audience than the Trixie Belden series.  I was concerned when I began revisiting the Trixie Belden series that I might struggle with it since it is skewed younger than most books I enjoy.  My Trixie Belden experience went well after I adjusted to reading the books.  I decided to read Meg Duncan immediately after reading Trixie Belden, since that would give me the best chance of enjoying the Meg books.  As I have stated previously, what I have read just before reading a series can influence how much I enjoy it or whether I can even read it.

In Meg Duncan #1, Meg and the Disappearing Diamonds, Mrs. Partlow's diamonds vanish during a tea party.  At first, Meg fears that her friend Kerry's cousin might have taken the diamonds and hidden them.  Later, Meg realizes that someone else must be to blame.

This is a good story, but the culprit is way too obvious.  The reading level is a tad bit too low for me, and that affected my enjoyment.

In Meg Duncan #2, The Secret of the Witch's Stairway, Meg searches for the missing Ashley family silver.  Meg has a few clues, which she follows during her search.

This mystery is also a bit too simple.  After all, the title of the book pretty much tells us all we need to know about where the silver might be hidden

Even though the reading level is also a bit too low for me, I did enjoy this book more than the first book.  Generally, this series gets better as it continues.

No comments: