Thursday, October 26, 2017

Sweet Valley High #4 Power Play, #5 All Night Long, and #6 Dangerous Love

In Sweet Valley High #4, Power Play, Robin Wilson wants to join the Pi Beta Alpha sorority more than anything.  Robin is overweight and unpopular, and she thinks that Jessica is her new best friend.  Robin just knows that Jessica will help her get into the sorority.

Liz knows the truth:  Jessica will never allow Robin to be a member of Pi Beta Alpha.  Liz thinks she can pull some strings and outmatch her twin.  Meanwhile, Lila Fowler is behaving strangely and is giving Jessica some extremely expensive gifts.  Liz is worried.

This book has a great opening line: "Elizabeth Wakefield didn't know how messy things would get with Robin Wilson and the sorority pledging, until she was in too deep to back out."  The reader knows immediately that this story will be interesting.

The following passage from page 108 is one of my favorites.
When [Elizabeth] walked in, she heard Jessica's heartrending sobs and immediately felt like crying herself.  For once in her life, Jessica was being tormented for something she hadn't done.
This book holds up quite well.  It was always one of my favorites, and I still love it.

In Sweet Valley High #5, All Night Long, Elizabeth is worried about Jessica's latest relationship.  Jessica has fallen for Scott Daniels, an experienced college student.  Jessica goes on a beach party with Scott and fails to return overnight.  Consumed with worry, Liz is forced to cover for Jess the next day.



I always enjoyed this book greatly, but it fell flat this time.  I find Jessica's relationship with Scott to be unrealistic, and I was also annoyed with the conflict between Todd and Liz.  I find that I now agree with Jessica that Todd is too dull for Liz.

In Sweet Valley High #6, Dangerous Love, Todd has purchased a motorcycle.  Unknown to him, Liz has been forbidden from ever riding on a motorcycle because her cousin was killed in a motorcycle accident.  Liz hides the truth from Todd as long as she can.  Once she tells him, it strains their relationship.  Todd gives rides to other girls, and Liz fears that she will lose him.

Personally, I'd like for Liz to lose Todd immediately.

This is a book that I did not read when I was a teen, so it holds no nostalgic appeal.  Furthermore, I no longer like Todd, so I have no interest in this story.

No comments: