Monday, June 9, 2008

L@@K SUPER RARE WOW!

Tonight is listed a SUPER RARE (yes, in capitals!) copy of Nancy Drew #41 The Clue of the Whistling Bagpipes with the tri-fold ad. It is item #320260880170 for those of you who want a chance at such a RARE book. I don't think I've seen one for sale in years! No, wait . . . there was one listed in my recent Nancy Drew May 2008 eBay Prices post. This must mean that SUPER RARE books are ones that show up for sale each month. Therefore, RARE books must show up several times per month. That is what sellers must mean by RARE: only seen several times per month!

I decided to run a completed items search for "Nancy Drew RARE" to see how many listings would appear. The completed items search does not catch everything, since it only searches the titles. Some sellers put RARE in the subtitles, and those listings will not appear. Also, the completed items search only goes back two weeks.

I found 118 completed listings for Nancy Drew with RARE in the title. Browsing through these listings, this is what I noticed:

There is a $0.01 RARE tweed Hollow Oak and a $0.99 RARE tweed Mysterious Letter that did not sell. I can't imagine why, since they are RARE. A $0.99 RARE tweed Ivory Charm did sell. What a bargain for a RARE book!

The most shocking are the 85 (yes, EIGHTY-FIVE) copies of two Nancy Drew computer games that are packaged together. This is mind-boggling that there have been 85 listings for something so RARE! 27 of them sold.

RARE is really just the current gimmick. There is always some word or catch phrase that people use to try to draw buyers to their listings. Around five years ago, the gimmicks were "L@@K," "LQQK," and "WOW." I remember how tired I became of seeing those words. I didn't really object to them; they just grated on my nerves. It was around a month ago that I realized that I only occasionally see those words. I now must endure RARE and SUPER RARE. It will always be something.

No comments: