Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Whitman Authorized Editions

Here is one last post from the Vintage Series Books group, from August 1, 2005:

I started the Whitman Authorized Editions recently. I first read Betty Grable and the House with the Iron Shutters by Kathryn Heisenfelt. Everything about it is overdramatic. The characters are fearful about everything, even hearing a cat's meow is fear-inspiring! It rather reads like a parody of series books. As I suspected the entire time I was reading it, the "mystery" turns out not to be much of a mystery at all. I found that I didn't really care by that point. If everyone were more open with each other and less afraid of everything, there wouldn't have been a story to tell at all. That said, I did enjoy reading it but I would not give it a high rating.

I next read Ann Sheridan and the Sign of the Sphinx by Kathryn Heisenfelt. It is also a bit overdramatic, but not nearly so as the previously-mentioned book. Fortunately, this book does have a decent mystery. Well, it more involves saving a woman from a group that uses the Sign of the Sphinx in their communications and of course they ask their victims for money. Apparently, they plan to kill their victims, so Ann and her companion Crunch do have a dangerous mission in this book. This book was also enjoyable.

Yesterday and today, I read Jane Withers and the Phantom Violin by Roy J. Snell. Rather, I skimmed much of it. I could tell by the second page that it was not going to be pleasant reading. Snell's writing style leaves a lot to be desired, and he jumps around too much and doesn't explain certain things when he should. For instance, on page 2, one of the girls mentions "Old Dizzy," and it is not until much later that the author states that Old Dizzy is the girls' pet loon. Also, one of the girls visits gypsies who have a dancing bear. Jane catches a wolf with a fishing rod and line. A raging moose is calmed by music and then frightened by a scream. Lots of unrelated events occur, and not everything is explained. I'm glad I'm through with it and can move on to the next book. I do not recommend reading it.

No comments: