For once, the books were sorted quite well overall, and this surprised me. Normally around 75% of the books I seek are in the Collector's Choice section with the remaining 25% scattered around the general section. That is what I have noticed year after year. Around 25% of the vintage books always end up in the wrong section.
I estimate that this year approximately 99% of the books I seek were in the Collector's Choice section and only 1% in the general section. I was very surprised that they sorted the books that well. The sorting has never been that good. I have wondered about it, and my thought is that they may have made certain to sort all of the old children's books into the Collector's Choice section because of the lead law.
Since the CPSA has stated that they will not fine people who sell vintage children's books as collectors items, then the library system probably figured that putting all of the old children's books in the Collector's Choice side would be wise. Whatever the reason, it made it much easier for me, and I probably came home with more books as a result.
I came home with 208 books. I ended up with a few overpriced undesirable books, which always happens during the mad rush. I try not to get books like that, but it always happens. For instance, I paid around $4.00 for a few books that are worth less than $1.00. I also ended up with a double oval endpapers Nancy Drew book in rough shape for which I paid $2.50. Ouch!
At least I managed not to get any flashlight editions, and there were a number of those at the sale. While I always end up with some books that I will have to list in bulk to send on their way, I end up with enough good books to cancel out the bad. More than anything, the annual booksale is recreation. I get to have fun selling the books in the coming months.
What is good is that I have found books that I can now pass onto others. I'm not sure right now how many of the books I will be keeping. I know that it will not be many. I will have to check the $1 box Nancy Drew PCs to see whether any of them are in better condition than the ones I have in my collection.
I am amused that I picked up Fire Dragon with the $1 box. I haven't forgotten how that seller dared us to find another one! Ha-ha, I found one! It's not so rare, is it?
I picked up a couple of books by Carolyn Wells in nice dust jackets. I will definitely be keeping those. A big benefit of this sale is that I always find a few books that I can check out to see whether I want to collect them. One year I found a couple of Peggy Lane books and later read one. That is what lead me to collecting the Peggy Lane books. It also led to the creation of my website since my frustration about the lack of information about Peggy Lane was a big part of my motivation to create a website.
For the books that I decide to sell, they will be listed in my Bonanzle booth as time allows. Right now I have a small stack of previously photographed books that will be listed next. I do not expect to list any books from the library sale for at least a couple of weeks.
All in all, this year's sale was great. It was better than last year, which was just so-so. Now I have to wait a year until the next one!