Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Keeper of the Lost Cities #9 Stellarlune Now Available in Paperback

I already had the entire set of Keeper of the Lost Cities books on Kindle plus all of the books up through #8.5 in paperback.  I was not intending to purchase #9 Stellarlune in paperback until I heard about the short story that is exclusive to the paperback edition.  

This statement by Shannon Messenger was posted on her Facebook on September 12:

Hey Everyone! I know you’re all patiently waiting for book 10–and I know it’s taking me a little longer to write it because I grew a tiny person this year.  So I wanted to give you a little bit of new content to help fill the void—and I chose to include it in the paperback because I was a paperback reader as a kid.  My family couldn’t afford hardcovers, and hardcovers are usually the only books that get to have special bonus content in them.  So this is my gift to all the kids who’ve waited a whole year for the paperback to come out.

On the same post, Shannon's assistant made this statement.

And this story is extra awesome—not just because we get to hear all the feisty thoughts of our favorite fiery girl.  Or because it’s longer than a lot of the other bonus stories that Shannon has written.  But also because it reveals something that *might* be important to the rest of the series. 

Oh my gosh!  I also read somewhere that the short story has to do with Fintan, who is a character that I'm currently trying to figure out.  Yes, I'm still obsessed with the series.

Needless to say, I decided that my paperback set needed to have this book added to it as well.  Now I have all of them in softcover.


My book arrived today in Amazon's sorry envelope packaging.  The cover has a number of surface impact marks from the insufficient packaging.  No matter; I don't need a perfect copy.  I just need the short story!  

I really prefer to read these thick modern books on my iPad.  I took my phone and photographed every page of the short story.  I managed not to focus on the words as I made the photos.  I did see a few phrases here and there, but I managed not to spoil myself.  

I am also okay that my copy of the book is a little rough, since I had to open the back cover more than I would have preferred in order to photograph the pages.  I had to do 29 pages, so I no doubt added a little bit of wear to the book.

After I finished photographing the pages, I placed them in a photo album.  Voila!




I made sure that the resolution of the image is low enough that the pages cannot be read.  I then went back and smudged every image so as not to give the appearance that I could be sharing anything.  I won't violate copyright.  I love this series so much that I want the author to get everything she is owed for her talent.

After I got the photo album set up, I then read the story by flipping through the images.  It was great.

As with the Forgotten Secrets of #9 Stellarlune, the reader gets no context regarding what is revealed.  I will have to mull it over and will probably read the short story multiple times in the near future.  I love trying to figure out where this series is going with the story.  It's So. Much. Fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You would think Amazon would know how to package since they sell millions of items a day. I bought a candle in a glass jar and they packaged it in one of their sorry envelopes and it arrived in a million pieces!