Thursday, October 5, 2023

Books Purchased at the Fall Better Books Sale

Today was the members-only presale of the inaugural Fall Better Books Sale in Oklahoma City.  Today's sale had around 25,000 books.  The regular library book sale in February typically has 800,000+ books.

I knew that I would not likely find many series books at this sale today, simply because the large February library sale no longer has many of our old series books.  They are just getting to be too old and scarce to show up in great quantity like they once did.

Even though I knew that I could not possibly find much, I had to show up just in case.  After all, the books offered at the Fall Better Books Sale are books that would have shown up at the next large library book sale.  Also, I believe that the purpose of this sale is to get excess books sold, since the February sale has too many books to put out at the beginning of the sale.  For that reason alone, I knew that I wouldn't find much.  They aren't going to offload all of the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books at this sale if the purpose is to get rid of excess books.

Here are the series-related books that I purchased.  (Always click on images in order to see a larger version at a higher resolution.)



The books were only marginally worth purchasing.  Swiss Chalet is in bad shape.  A few of the others are in rough shape.  Mainly, I wasn't going to leave without some series books, so I selected what I felt had some merit for my needs.


I also picked up these three Keeper of the Lost Cities books just because I like the series and again, I was going to buy something.  After all, I took the day off work and waited in line for nearly two hours.  I wasn't leaving empty-handed.  I also got to eat a small serving of free ice cream.  Woo-hoo!

After I had selected all of the above books to have something to buy, I then checked the cookbooks.  Clearly, someone donated their entire collection of comb-bound cookbooks to the library.  I purchased most of them.



I will sell them in small bulk lots with similar books grouped together.  I will group by region and type.  A lot of people collect them.

The sale runs October 6-7 from 9AM to 5PM at OSU-OKC, 930 N. Portland Avenue in Oklahoma City.

This is what I didn't purchase.  






 
Follow this link for some more pictures.

No comments: