Wednesday, March 16, 2022

The 2022 Friends of the Library Book Sale

I wrote this about the library sale in my previous post.

The library sale was odd this year.  The sale was extremely short on volunteers.  Many volunteers had dropped because of covid fears, and many more had dropped because of the ice.  They did not have anywhere near enough volunteers.

I was third in line, which was the closest I had ever been to being first in line.  The lack of volunteers resulted in the belt barriers not being placed correctly.  Some people moved them, and later, the person in charge of the entire sale got everything set right for our section.

The lack of volunteers meant that the sale was quite short on cashiers.  We were told that we would be on the honor system.  We were given tally slips and told to figure out our own totals.  Many books were still in boxes in the outer lobby since not enough volunteers had shown up that week.

I will publish a separate post showing the books that I purchased at the sale.  I could tell that the library had received far fewer donations than usual.  I had suspected that would be the case.  Remember that I believed that the books were probably going to local stores.

The library sale always overwhelmingly consists of library discards.  After all, it is a library sale.  I don't know what percent of the books are usually library discards, but let's say 75% of them are.  At this year's sale, I would say that 90% of the books were library discards.  The sale had about as many books as usual, but the books were two years' worth of library discards.  

This meant that the books I most wanted to see at the sale simply were not there.  The old series books were almost completely absent.  They were never donated and had probably been sold to local stores.

Here are the books I purchased at the sale.  You must click on each photo in order to see it clearly.


The last sale was two years ago, and I purchased a large number of the Nancy Drew Twin Thriller editions at that sale as well.  Such an odd coincidence.



Purchasing Hardy Boys #58 in the flashlight edition was a mistake.  I'm sure that I was thinking of Nancy Drew #58 when I grabbed it.  I have to go quickly, so I always purchase some books that I should not have.

These books in jackets are pretty scarce titles.  






The Silent Message was signed by the author.  I have started reading it, and it's pretty good so far.  I was happy to see High Country Adventure by Marian Rumsey, since I recently read her Carolina Hurricane.  Upon trying to read it, I don't find it that interesting.

Little Eskimos was an impulse purchase.  I thought it could have some value.  


I purchased both of the miniature Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books that were available a number of years ago. 


I purchased quite a few vintage teen books.








This is going to sound strange to some of you, but I wasn't that pleased with the selection of books I purchased.  I have done better in the past.  It's apparent that many of the books that should have been at the sale were never donated.  Here are some past posts.  Compare what is shown in this post to what you see in these other posts.  You'll notice a difference.

The 2010 Book Sale

More of the 2010 Books

The 2011 Book Sale

The 2020 Book Sale

No comments: