Wednesday, March 16, 2022

The Whispering House by Jean Hager

Three young orphans arrive in Union City, Kansas, to make their home with an eccentric great-uncle they have never seen.  Teenager Anne and her brothers, Stephen and Eric, find both Uncle Julian and his large old house remote and mysterious.

The house, built in the mid-nineteenth century, seems to whisper that it has a secret.  But the whispers of classmates and many adults in Union City, that the children's great-great grandfather was a traitor, were even more disturbing to Anne.  Intent on finding out the truth about the rumors, Anne finds herself in an awkward situation:  she must produce evidence to prove that her ancestor was not a traitor or expose the family to even more embarrassment.

This book was published in 1970 by Steck-Vaughn.  Jean Hager is a prolific author, but she has only written two books for children.  The second book is The Secret of Riverside Farm, also published in 1970 by Steck-Vaughn.  Both books are quite scarce and difficult to find priced fairly and in collectible condition.  That is, a few collectible copies can be found as I write this, but that will likely change upon publication of this post.  Altogether, around 10 copies of Riverside Farm and around 15 to 20 copies of Whispering House are available online.  Some copies are quite overpriced.  At decent prices, the books are in short supply.

Two years ago, I found The Whispering House at a booksale.  In that post, I wrote:

The Whispering House caught my eye, and I opened it just to see if it might be interesting enough to purchase.  This was after I had already gone over the books more than once and was browsing more leisurely.  As soon as I opened the book, I saw that it was signed by the author.  I still don't know if the book is good, but I wasn't going to leave a signed book behind.  And yes, as you can clearly see, the book was priced at $2.00.


Always click on images to see them more clearly.

Recently I decided to select random books off of my shelves and then try to read them.  I have been very unmotivated to read and review books.  I was determined to write a review for any book I tried, even if I didn't like it.  And so I selected this book.

As I began reading the first few pages, the story was adequate, and I considered it to be overall good.  I quickly decided that the book was very good.  By halfway through the book, I was completely captivated and very happy to be reading such a great story.

The book combines a mystery with a coming-of-age story.  The lesson is that appearances are deceiving and that we should not judge people by the limited information we have.  

I really enjoyed wondering how and when Anne would figure out what she needed to know about her great-great grandfather.  Anne has real worries, and the solution to the mystery is important.  I also enjoyed the development of Anne's relationship with her Uncle Julian.

This is exactly the kind of book I like.  It is easy to read, engaging, and suspenseful.  I was never bored.  This is an excellent book.

No comments: