Thursday, February 14, 2019

Judy Bolton #19 The Secret of the Musical Tree

In Judy Bolton #19, The Secret of the Musical Tree, Judy and Peter try to visit Roxy at her home in Cleveland, but the maid answers the door, claiming that Roxy is away.  Later, Judy is mistaken for Roxy in a department store, and Judy learns some information that leads her to believe that Roxy is in trouble.  Judy calls Roxy's home and speaks to her, but Roxy is vague and mysterious.  Judy is certain that Roxy is in trouble and must find a way to help her.

The plot of this book is apparently similar to Dorothy Dixon and the Double Cousin.  I have never read the Dorothy Dixon book.  I intended to years ago, but I couldn't stand the writing style of the books.  They did not appeal to me.  I cannot confirm this myself, but a review on Goodreads gives enough information that it is apparent that the plots are indeed similar.

On page 89, Judy requests that Mrs. Bolton drop everything and come to her house to take care of Roberta while she leaves for Cleveland.  "Oh, Dad can take care of himself.  I hate to ask you to drop everything and come, but you'll be coming for Christmas anyway.  In case I'm delayed, you can fix the tree and put the packages around it just the way you always used to at home."

This seems rather presumptuous.  Doesn't Mrs. Bolton have some Christmas preparations of her own?  Not only that, but Judy just expects Mrs. Bolton to set up Judy's Christmas decorations and presents for her.  Wow.

This is an excellent book.

No comments: