Thursday, September 20, 2018

Trixie Belden #23 Mystery of the Queen's Necklace and #24 Mystery at Saratoga

In Trixie Belden #23, The Mystery of the Queen's Necklace, Honey has a necklace that has been passed down through the Hart branch of her family.  The Bob-Whites travel to England with Miss Trask to help research the history of the necklace.  Trixie soon notices that a pickpocket keeps following them around.  She suspects that the pickpocket is after the necklace.  Trixie is soon suspicious of everyone, including the knowledgeable and affable guide.

In this story, London said to be the sixth largest city in the world, and this was in 1979.  I knew London couldn't be anywhere near that high on the list now.  I checked, and London is now #29 on one list and #42 on another.

As the Bob-Whites visit the sites, they end up on Baker Street at 221B.  I am glad that Sherlock Holmes is said to be fictional, unlike the nonsense in The Mystery on the Mississippi when the Bob-Whites act like all of Mark Twain's characters were real.

The book is good but is not one that I enjoy very much.  The book is too much of a travelogue for me.

In Trixie Belden #24, The Mystery at Saratoga, Regan has disappeared!  He left shortly after the arrival of Mr. Worthington, who races valuable horses.  Trixie investigates and learns that Regan once worked for Worthington and was suspected of doping a horse.  Trixie is devastated, but her intuition tells her that Regan is innocent.  Trixie and Honey stay with the Wheelers at Saratoga as they search for Regan and try to find a way to prove his innocence.

This book has way too much history and information about horses.  I skimmed those parts.

The parts of the story that focus on Regan are pretty good.

Trixie and Honey meet a woman who once cared about Regan.  I find it rather strange that she also calls him Regan instead of using his first name, Bill.

I skimmed the last part of the story.  The book is good, but I do not care for it.

2 comments:

Linda said...

I cannot believe, after all the times Trixie has been compared to Sherlock Holmes, that she didn't know who lived at 221B Baker Street.

Sean said...

I am always surprised at how many people don't know Holmes' address. And how many haven't heard of Agatha Christie.

Also, maybe it is just me, but so many people don't like the late '70s Trixie books, but they are among my favourite! I loved the Queen's necklace, and even the "travelogue"-it makes me feel like I'm there! The Saratoga book is good too as I like Regan. I wish Dan could have been in this one more-after all, Regan is his uncle! As a kid, I used to pretend that the actors who played Dan and Diana were never available (or wanted too much money)! **I know, and even knew as a child that you don't need to pay actors to be characters in a book, but it seems to me that the author's just didn't know what to do with Dan and Di since they are hardly in the books! On the other hand, it was refreshing for Mart not to be there (he was my least favourite-a clown, show-off, and someone that never seems to believe Trixie)

Another random thing in this book that stuck with me was a brief scene where Trixie said something like, "you can spank us later" to Mr Wheeler. For some reason, I never supposed Trix and Honey ever needed spankings, so it seemed kind of weird.

I can't remember anything else that stuck with me here, so that's all