Sunday, November 19, 2017

Sweet Valley High Perfect Summer, #22 Too Much in Love, and #23 Say Goodbye

In Sweet Valley High Super Edition, Perfect Summer, Elizabeth, Jessica, and a number of friends depart on a summer bicycling trip along California's coast.  Mr. Collins and Ms. Dalton serve as chaperones.  When wealthy Courtney Thomas joins the group, Liz's boyfriend, Todd, does everything he can to make Courtney feel welcome.  Liz is certain that Courtney is not what she seems, but Todd is oblivious.  Liz and Todd are soon in danger of breaking up.

Jessica has fallen for mysterious Robbie October, but she can't get his attention.  Mr. Collins and Ms. Dalton aren't getting along, and Bruce Patman keeps making snide comments.

This is a good book, and it was always one of my favorites.  On this reading, I still enjoyed the story, but some parts bored me.  I read this book many times as a teen, so I remember the story quite clearly.  I think that is why it bored me at times.

In Sweet Valley High #22, Too Much in Love, DeeDee Gordon has suddenly become insecure.  DeeDee feels like she has to be the perfect girlfriend in order to keep Bill Chase from leaving her.  DeeDee clings to Bill, insisting that he spend every free moment with her.  DeeDee's behavior threatens to drive Bill away.

I don't care for this book.  DeeDee is annoying.

In Sweet Valley High #23, Say Goodbye, Todd Wilkins is moving to Vermont.  He breaks the sad news to Elizabeth.  The unhappy couple mopes around for the entire story, feeling sorry for themselves.

Gah.  I don't like Todd, and I can't stand Liz wandering around, feeling depressed.  It is so boring!  Please, Todd, just hurry up and leave.  I was tempted to skip this book, but I managed to read it.

On the bright side, Todd is leaving! 

This is also another book that I didn't read when young.  I think it worked out great back then when I read the books that had Todd, and then I read books with Liz's second boyfriend, Jeffrey.  I never had to read the sappy stuff where Liz goes around feeling sorry for herself because she loses Todd.  It's just too depressing.  I don't want to read about that!

I do not like this book.

1 comment:

A said...

You're right about reading a book so many times you remember it too well so it's not a surprise. Sometimes the familiarity is welcome, sometimes it bores because there isn't as much suspense.

As to Liz's boyfriends, while I never hated Todd, I always thought Jeffrey was a better boyfriend. Highly underrated. He seemed much more interesting.