Saturday, January 20, 2024

Both Digital and Printed Books Have Advantages

The subject of whether printed books or digital books are better is a frequent topic of discussion among book readers.  I contend that both formats have their benefits and that this should not be considered an either/or situation.

On January 4, 2023, I wrote:

I prefer some books in printed format and others in digital format.  I only keep modern young adult books in a digital format.  I don't see them as collectible, and I just want them to read.  I am content to have them stored on my iPad.

I sold my Harry Potter set a few years back.  I now have the books in digital format only.  Reading the books on my iPad is much easier than reading such heavy books.  Selling the set freed up valuable shelf space.

The 1st generation iPad became available in March 2010.  By September 2010, I decided that it sounded like a device I would want to have.  I went into a local store to view the display model.  I fell in love at first sight.  I needed one. 

After I purchased my iPad, I walked out of the store, feeling like it was the best day of my life.  Whenever I had the iPad with me in 2010 and 2011, it attracted attention.  People approached me and asked how I was getting online, whether it was via public Wi-Fi or a data plan.  Now I'm on my fourth iPad, a lovely blue iPad Air, and nobody gives it any notice, since tablets are commonplace. 

In early 2010 before I purchased my first iPad, I read through the Percy Jackson series for the first time.  I purchased a boxed set on Amazon.  It even has a secret compartment.





Fast forward to now.  After I watched the first three episodes of the Disney+ Percy Jackson series in late December, I decided to read the first Percy Jackson book again, since I had forgotten everything.  I got out my boxed set and retrieved the first book.

I dislike reading modern books in printed copies, but I didn't want to purchase the Kindle edition of the first Percy Jackson book when I already had it in a printed copy.  I started reading the book.

I found it so annoying.  I kept thinking of my iPad and how I'd rather be reading on it.  Let's compare the iPad and the book.

My iPad weighs 1 pound, 4.6 ounces, including the case.  The first Percy Jackson book weighs 1 pound, 4.2 ounces.  The weight is only slightly different, so that's not the problem.  

When I am reading printed books, I like to hold the book in my right hand.  I use my thumb and pinky to keep the book open.  It requires some effort when reading a modern book, which doesn't stay open unless the binding is broken.  I'm certainly not going to break the binding, so I found it annoying having to use constant pressure from my fingers to keep the book open.  It made my fingers hurt.  Yes, I could have read the book by laying it flat, but that's not my preference.  You know how it is.  We like to do things a certain way.

If I were reading on the iPad, I'd have the iPad in one of several locations.  I read at my computer desk, and I often lay the iPad down with the top edge propped up on my computer mouse.  Sometimes I hold the iPad resting upright on the right arm of my chair or in my lap.  I find all of these options to be much more convenient than holding the book.  Also, it's easier to turn the pages.  I just tap on the right side of the screen. 

I also can adjust the font size on the iPad.  I can't do that with a printed book.

I find that it's a lot easier to read printed copies of vintage series books than it is to read modern books.  The bindings are a lot more tight on the modern books.

Vintage hardcover series books weigh less than modern hardcover books.  For instance:

1st printing of Nancy Drew #8 w/DJ:  0.88 pounds
Nancy Drew #33 Green APC:  0.62 pounds
Nancy Drew #26 thick early PC:  0.64 pounds

Here are two very heavy modern hardcover books that I have on hand. 

Keeper of the Lost Cities # 6:  2.3 pounds
Harry Potter #7:  2.4 pounds

The two I selected are extreme examples, but many books are large and heavy these days.  I'll take the Kindle edition over even the softcover book.  I especially love being able to highlight passages and search the text of Kindle books.

Going back to Percy Jackson, I made it a little over halfway through the first book before I gave up.  I found it increasingly difficult to hold the book open as I got into the second half of the book.  I couldn't stand it anymore, so I purchased the Kindle edition to finish reading it.  

For me, it's not a case of one format being better than the other.  I like reading the printed copies of the vintage books that I own.  The books are lightweight and easy to hold.  I never have a problem with reading them.  For modern books, I only read the Kindle edition.  I dislike reading modern hardcover books that are thick and heavy. 

The modern paperback books weigh less than the hardcover books and would be preferable but for one reason:  The modern paperback books are now printed on pulp paper that is gray when the books are new. 

When the Nancy Drew Diaries series began in 2013, I purchased the hardcover and softcover versions of the first two books.  I wrote, "I was further disgusted about the gray pulp paper used on the softcover books and deeply regretted that I wasted money on them."  I ended up selling those books.  I could not stand the poor paper quality.  The paper looks dirty, and books printed on pulp paper are harder to read.

In closing, I prefer the digital edition for all modern books.  For vintage books that I own, I prefer to read the vintage books.  For vintage books that I do not own that are in the public domain, I am fine reading the digital edition.

No comments: