Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Jackie and Terri by John Benton

From the back cover of Jackie:

"My old man didn't care about me.  My old lady didn't care.  Nobody cared.  So I'd find a way to punish them—and punish them good."

There's no place like home.  Sixteen-year-old Jackie Marshall found that out when her parents discovered her drug habit.  Vowing to get even with them, she traded her intolerable home life for the streets—and found a lot more than she bargained for.

Narrowly escaping the clutches of a pimp, Jackie sought the protection of a sympathetic junkie, only to resort to the unthinkable in order to support their thousand-dollar habits.  One thing became clear:  the only person she had punished was herself.

Was it too late for a teenage-prostitute and junkie to start life all over again?

Content: prostitution, drug use, physical abuse, false rape accusation, animal abuse

Jackie is one messed-up girl.  She wants to torture her parents.  Her idea of a good joke is to tell them that she's pregnant, when she isn't.  She decides to get even with her father by going to the police and accusing him of rape.  How horrifying.

I was a little worried about Jackie's dog as I read the book.  I never like to see animals hurt.  Fortunately, the dog survives the story just fine.

This girl is a train wreck.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading about her crazy misadventures.

My summary of Terri:

Terri's father uses all of their family's money to purchase alcohol to fuel his addiction.  The family has no money for food.  Desperate, Terri robs a pizza place.  She gets caught and is sent to a women's prison for a year.  Terri finds herself at the mercy of the mean matron who makes up rules that she then uses to punish Terri.  Terri also is bullied by the other prisoners and fears for her life.  Terri searches for a way to escape.

Content: burglary, physical violence, robbery, drug use, prison

This is one of Benton's more hilarious books.  It is comedy gold.

On pages 30 and 31, Terri's parents get into a physical altercation.  Terri's mom is obese, and her father is drunk.

"Terri, get this two-ton monster off me!" Dad shouted.  "She's about to kill me!"

I ran over, grabbed Mom by the shoulders, and pulled her off-balance.  She tumbled off Dad and rolled across the floor, her blubber making squishy noises as she rolled.

I have no words.

Terri's escapade where she robs the pizza place is absurdly funny.

Terri spends a good portion of the book in the women's prison, that is until she convinces her father to help her escape via a crazy scheme.  I'll not try to describe it, but the result is several chapters full of hilarity.  Such fun.

I love this book.

No comments: