Sunday, July 31, 2022

Shipping Charge Update + Store Hiatus

In February in my post "A Postage Dilemma + Many Books Listed," I explained that I take a loss on postage when I sell books.  I have left my postage charge for a single book at $3.95 since 2008.  That amount has been inadequate for years.  Early this year I wanted to raise my postage charge to $4.95 but decided against it, since most sellers were charging just the base rate of $3.19 in their listings.

The USPS raised rates again this month.  I mailed out several packages this week, and the media mail postage increase grabbed my attention.  The one-pound rate is now $3.49.  I cannot continue charging just $3.95 for the first book.  That is over.  

I also mailed out a Three Investigators book that went at the two-pound rate for $4.16.  This means that I charged only $3.95 to mail a book for $4.16, and my packaging costs added at least $1.50 to the postage charge.  

I immediately went into my listings and changed my postage charge to $4.45 on listings for books that will go at the one-pound rate.  Heavier books like the Three Investigators now have a postage charge of $4.95.  My charges of $4.45 and $4.95 are still inadequate, but I want to increase gradually and not go all the way to $5.95, which is what I should be charging to mail one book.

For now, I have left the combined shipping amount at $0.60 for each additional book.  I still have the free shipping promotion for purchases of $35 or over.  I will have to assess whether the free shipping promotion should change to a higher minimum order amount, but that is a decision for later in the year.

My listings will be deactivated by the end of the day on Wednesday, August 3.  I may even pull them the night of August 2.  I expect my listings will be down for at least a few weeks.  Beyond that, I have no idea.

Jennifer's Series Books on eBay

Jennifer's Series Books on Etsy

No comments: