Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Inflation, Low Sales, and Targeted Offers

Yesterday I explained how I have some books set aside that are slated to go into bulk lots.  Today I divided up the Nancy Drew books into possible bulk lots.  It worked out better than it usually does, and I found a place for each book.  This is what I have in mind.









The bulk lots will likely be listed sometime in the next few days.  When I price them, I will add together what the books cost, what postage will be, and what the fees will be.  I will then add a few dollars to the total, and the result is the Buy It Now price.  It is an effective means of getting books to disappear fast.  Buyers love sets of cheap reading copies.  Sometimes my bulk lots go to sellers who need some cheap inventory.  

Sales are horrible right now.  Gas prices and the resulting inflation are the biggest reasons.  Some people in the government want us to think that inflation isn't that bad right now and that the situation is improving.  Inflation is very bad, and the situation is most certainly not improving.

Around 2 years ago when I cautiously ventured forth from my self-imposed lockdown, I started using Walmart Pay on my phone to pay for my purchases at Walmart.  I liked using Walmart Pay because I didn't have to touch the register.  I have continued to use Walmart Pay.  It's easy, and I don't have to mess with paper receipts.  

All of the purchases I have made at Walmart for the past two years are saved in my account with the prices I paid.  I can search my transactions for certain items and see the price increases over the last two years and the especially noticeable price increases of the last six months.  

In the last two years, Purina wet cat food has increased by 25%.  Bottled Pepsi has gone up by 55%.  Bacon is now 75% higher.  Some products are even 100% higher.  Inflation is appallingly high.  It's not getting better.

This is why sales on eBay and Etsy have mostly halted.  The diehards are still buying.  I continue to make purchases.  When I list something special, it sells immediately.  However, the average person has quit making discretionary purchases.  Gasoline and food costs are taking their extra funds.  The current situation is bad.

Sales will remain low regardless of what I do.  It does concern me that my listings will be suppressed on eBay and Etsy due to low sales.  It's important that I sell some books so that I am not penalized in the search results.  

I first looked into making targeted offers on eBay.  I decided to try it out.  eBay allows sellers to select some of the items that are being watched by prospective buyers.  I like that I can choose which ones.  I chose items that have been up for sale longer, and I sent offers to those watchers.

I do not know who is watching my books on eBay.  I just see a list that shows me which items are being watched, and I then can select the items for which I want to send offers.  I made a few sales last night and today as a result of the offers.

On Etsy, I cannot pick and choose which items.  I have to run a campaign where offers are sent to all prospective buyers who fave an item.  The campaign would have to run indefinitely.  No, I want a one-time offer.  Also, on Etsy, I have to pay $0.10 for each targeted offer that is sent.  That would add up quickly.  So, no deal.

eBay is better for targeted offers, since I can choose and do not have to pay an additional fee.

I decided that I wanted to do something on Etsy.  My sales on Etsy have slipped so that they are worse than my eBay sales.  Both sites are bad, but Etsy is far worse.  I need some sales so that Etsy doesn't bury me in the search results.

I am now running a two-day sale on Etsy for 197 of my listings.  The sale is for 10% off.  I included all books in some of my categories, while in other categories I selected some of them.  

Jennifer's Series Books on Etsy

If you see this post after the Etsy sale concludes on Thursday, then the sale is over and will not be honored.

No comments: