Monday, June 6, 2022

Building Bulk Lots of Books

Purchasing bulk lots of books is a great way to acquire extras and to find interesting variants.  I have acquired most of the library editions in my collection through bulk lot purchases.  The problem with purchasing bulk lots is that I end up with many bad condition books and with uneven quantities of extra books.  

I listed three bulk lots of Nancy Drew books on eBay a few days ago.  Most of the books were acquired through purchases that I made in order to acquire some hardcover Nancy Drew Files.  You will have to click or tap on photos in order see them in higher resolution.



I try to find bulk lots of bare tweed Nancy Drew books whenever I can.  These books are in high demand.  I have written about them in the past.  Buyers pay $10 or more each for bare tweed books, even when the books have some wear.  Whenever I acquire bulk lots of bare tweed Nancy Drew books, a few of them will be in bad shape.

I try to place books in bad condition near each other on a shelf as I acquire them.  In the last few days, I began organizing those books and getting them completely segregated from other books.  These photos show books that have condition problems that I have flagged as books that I intend to place in bulk lots.  





It should be obvious why many of the books are slated for bulk lots, since they have some obvious wear and tear.  Some of the blue Nancy Drew books have pulp paper, and I always place those books in bulk lots.  Some of the Nancy Drew books that look fine on the outside have significant interior condition problems, such as excessive stains, crayon, marker, or torn pages.  Other Nancy Drew books that look fine don't have significant problems, but I feel that they won't have a good chance of selling individually due to how they present.

Some books are just not worth selling individually, even though nothing is wrong with them.  The Bobbsey Twins book is an example.  There just isn't enough interest in the Bobbsey Twins series for me to sell random extras individually.  Once I have acquired some books that will fit in well with the Bobbsey Twins book, they will go in a bulk lot.  In fact, I have a copy of Black Beauty currently for sale, and I doubt that it will ever sell.  It would work as part of a bulk lot of books that would also include the Bobbsey Twins book.

After I organized the books seen in the above photos, I organized my extra bare tweed and blue Nancy Drew books which will be sold individually.







I always find it interesting to see how many extra copies I have of some titles, while I have no extras of others.  What I will do is assess the books that are slated for the bulk lots.  I will begin dividing them up into lots in such a way that will enable me to list as many of them as possible.  I have multiple copies of some bad condition books, so they cannot all go in the same bulk lot. 

Once I have begun to build the bulk lots, I will then look at my other extras.  I will focus on titles where I have more extra copies.  Hidden Staircase, Red Gate Farm, and Old Stagecoach are obvious examples where I have too many extras.  I will likely remove at least one of each, picking the worse condition copy, and will place them in with the books destined for the bulk lots.

Sometimes I will sacrifice some of my extras just to make the bulk lots more enticing.  I must make the value proposition good enough for each bulk lot so that it has a decent chance of selling.  

I will probably begin building the bulk lots tomorrow.

Jennifer's Series Books on eBay

Jennifer's Series Books on Etsy

No comments: