Saturday, January 15, 2022

My Progress on My Set of Hardcover Nancy Drew Files Books

In 2019, I wrote about my decision to begin working on a set of the Nancy Drew Files books in hardcover library editions.  I started working on the set in around 2017.  

Nancy Drew Files Hardcover Library Editions

In that post, I mentioned that I dislike oversized books, so I have avoided the first 10 Nancy Drew Files in hardcover as issued by Grey Castle Press.  I am seeking hardcover library editions, which are approximately the size of the original softcover books.

When I wrote that post in 2019, I had managed to acquire 54 of the books in hardcover.  It was a decent start, but I had quite a ways to go.  I added some books to my set in 2020, but not that many.  In late 2021, I finally had some amazing luck in acquiring many of the hardcover library editions.

I purchased a large bulk lot of hardcover Nancy Drew Files in December.  This next photo shows an example of what the spines looked like when the books arrived.  

Remember to click on each image in order to view it at a higher resolution.


The spines had red paint at the top plus two library stickers.  I wanted those stickers off, especially the greenish blue ones.  I removed the library stickers to discover that on many of the books the library had cut a previous library sticker out of the spine, leaving a hole.  While I didn't want the library stickers on the books, I also didn't want holes in the spines.


The obvious solution was to put library stickers back on the books.  I could have purchased any cheap white sticker, but I wanted acid-free stickers so that they wouldn't yellow within a few years.  I also liked the idea of having authentic library stickers on the books.  Therefore, I purchased library stickers from Demco as well as tape that would be the right width to cover the stickers.


The spines look much better with library stickers on them.  I positioned the stickers exactly where the holes were.


I purchased some additional hardcover Nancy Drew Files books in early January.


I now need just 18 Nancy Drew Files in hardcover.

 67.  Nobody's Business
 70.  Cutting Edge
 85.  Sea of Suspicion
 91.  If Looks Could Kill
 92.  My Deadly Valentine
 93.  Hotline to Danger
 98.  Island of Secrets
 99.  The Cheating Heart
101.  The Picture of Guilt
105.  Stolen Affections
109.  Love Notes
115.  Running into Trouble
117.  Skipping a Beat
118.  Betrayed by Love
120.  Dangerous Loves
122.  Strange Memories
123.  Wicked for the Weekend
124.  Crime at the Chat Cafe

I am replacing my softcover books with the hardcover books due to lack of space.  I don't like the Nancy Drew Files books enough to want to keep both formats, so this was an easy decision.

Here is my set, which now consists of mostly hardcover books with 18 softcover books mixed in.








No comments: