Saturday, January 29, 2022

Moonstone Mystery Romance #1 Deadly Design

The Moonstone Mystery Romance series was published in 1985.  Five of the six books are quite scarce.  The only book that can be found easily is Something Out There in the Especially for Girls hardcover book club edition.

1.  Deadly Design
2.  The Shadowed Path
3.  Dangerous Beat
4.  Fatal Secrets
5.  Something Out There
6.  When Darkness Falls

I believe that this series was named after the Nancy Drew book, The Moonstone Castle Mystery.

In #1 Deadly Design, Charlotte has landed a job at an upscale boutique at Mission Square Mall.  Charlotte is thrilled about her job, and she really likes Steve, who works at the adjacent book store.  But Charlotte soon realizes that the mall is not a safe place.

I was about to return my sales book to the special place in the drawer when I noticed a slight thickness toward the back of it.  As I investigated further, I found a bulky note was stuck to one of the pages.  I pried the note off carefully, being sure not to rip the pages of my precious book.

As I opened the folded note I saw that it was composed of letters cut out of magazines or newspaper and glued onto a sheet of paper.  

BE VERY CAREFUL.  HE HAS A GUN.

Who has a gun?  The thought was so sharp that for a moment I was afraid I had actually said it out loud.  Was it the gang leader who had trailed me to my apartment building the night before?

Or was it Steve?

Please don't let it be Steve, I thought.  Anyone but Steve!

I really enjoy books that are set in stores or shopping centers and have an unknown danger.  I found this book to be interesting from the very beginning.  It's clear from early in the story that something odd is going on at the mall.  It's not clear who the culprit is.

Charlotte has legitimate reason to suspect multiple people of threatening her and following her.  I didn't guess the actual solution until the reveal towards the end of the story.  I think I could have if I had been thinking more in a certain direction.  The author did a good job of casting suspicion on several characters, actually to most of the characters.  I like that.  It's always more entertaining to be kept guessing, wondering what is really going on. 

This is an excellent book.

No comments: