Friday, November 11, 2016

Twilight Darkness #13 Vicious Circle, #14 Footprints of the Dead, and #15 Spirits and Spells

In Twilight Where Darkness Begins #13, Vicious Circle, children are disappearing one at a time. First, an important possession disappears. Hours later, the child disappears.  When the children return, they are silent and unresponsive.  Jenny fears that her little sister, Andrea, will be the next child taken.  How can Jenny protect Andrea from the evil that lives near the river?

This book includes some excessively lengthy flashbacks of the former life of the evil spirit.  I found the flashbacks to be way too long and rather confusing.  I would have preferred for those parts not to have been in the story.

Aside from the flashbacks, this is a very good book.

In Twilight Where Darkness Begins #14, Footprints of the Dead, Dani retuns to the island of St. Jacques to live on her family's sugarcane plantation.  Dani is shocked at how much the island has changed.  The people are now so poor, and her beloved Uncle Victor is hated by the villagers.  Dani cannot understand what is wrong.  Later, Dani learns about the evil voodoo practiced in the mountains and how voodoo is used to bring people back from the dead.

One character is likable until partway through the book when the reader learns this character's secret.  Dani has no idea, and the reader's stomach will churn upon learning the information. This makes the book quite suspenseful, since for a good part of the story Dani has no idea what is really going on.

This is a compelling story about zombies.  It would have made a good introductory book for a zombie apocalypse trilogy.  The plot is resolved in this book, but it is left open-ended.  More zombies will come to life later, and I wish that this book had been part of a trilogy.

This is an excellent book.

In Twilight Where Darkness Begins #15, Spirits and Spells, Gerry and his friends play a new role playing game in an abandoned old mansion.  The premise is that the players are trapped in the mansion and must find certain hidden objects before morning, or else they will be killed.  Soon after the friends begin playing, they learn that the game is real and that they are truly prisoners in the mansion.  They must defeat the evil presence or lose reality as they know it forever.

I did not like this book.  The story gets very positive reviews, so I suppose it is just me.  I did not care for the magical aspect.  This story is not at all like the other books in the set, which all feature characters set on Earth who are haunted by spirits.  This book features visitors from another world and has lots of magic.  I was not in the mood for that kind of story.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I have been looking for this series of books since I was a young girl. My older brother brought them home from the high school library for me. He has since moved on and I need to revisit memories. And now, after many years of trying to remember and search,I have found the stories I remember my brother trying to scare me with! Plea
se help me find where to buy them!

Jennifer White said...

Use www.bookfinder.com. Go one title at a time, and enter the author's name along with the title of the book. Book Finder will give you a list of all copies for sale with the lowest-priced one first. Also check eBay in case any bulk lots are listed. Etsy is another site where some titles might appear, and it doesn't show in the Book Finder results.

The above methods are how I found my books, and you may have to repeat the searches over the course of a few months. Completing the set is a daunting task, but with patience, the books can be found. Good luck!