Friday, March 20, 2015

The Troy Nesbit Mystery Series

We have all seen the Troy Nesbit Whitman books in book stores and antique shops.  All of us have likely admired the covers, and some of us might have purchased the books.  However, most of us have probably failed to read the books just like with most all Whitman books.

Last year, I greatly enjoyed reading both the Three Investigators and Rick Brant series, two series that I have ignored for more than 20 years.  I knew all along that both series are loved by many, but for various reasons, I didn't think I would like them and never bothered.  I have had numerous titles from both series pass through my hands in the last 20 years, but my mind was closed.

Since my experience with both series taught me not to be close-minded about series I have never tried, I decided to try some other series.  One acquaintance on Facebook is very enthusiastic about Whitman books, and that enthusiasm began to rub off on me.

A thread in the Collecting Vintage Children's Series Books group on Facebook gave information about Franklin Folsom's books.  Until I read that thread, I was unaware that the real name behind Whitman's author, Troy Nesbit, was Franklin Folsom.  I was intrigued.  A few collectors mentioned how good the Troy Nesbit books are.

I quickly built a set of the six books.  I didn't get around to reading them for a couple of months since I was still reading other books.  In March, I finally got started.  I figured out quickly that these are very good books.  I decided to seek out all Whitman cover art variants as well as the Harvey House reprints and the recent reprints.

Issue #10 of the Mystery & Adventure Series Review has an article about the books titled "An Overlooked Series - The Troy Nesbit Books."  The article concludes as follows.
Compared to some other writers of series, Mr. Folsom left relatively few works for our consideration, but those that he did leave us spark prolonged consideration indeed.  He brought drama and high ideals to the genre, and he deserves to be better known among those who read and collect series literature.
I agree wholeheartedly.  Folsom wrote very high quality books.  The Jinx of Payrock Canyon is the weakest book; I consider it to be just good.  Sand Dune Pony is very good.  The rest of the books are outstanding.  I was disappointed after I read the last book, because I wanted to read more of them.  They are excellent books.

I realized shortly into reading the books that I needed to put together a page on my site for the Troy Nesbit books.  I have now done so, and here it is.

The Wilderness Mystery Series by Troy Nesbit

The MASR article states that Folsom "deserves to be better known among those who read and collect series literature," and my page is my contribution to helping him be better known.  The page will explain some of the particulars about the books which I have not mentioned here.

Individual reviews will follow in the near future.

No comments: