Monday, June 30, 2014

Facebook Business Pages and eBay's New Defect Rate

People who have Facebook business pages have become frustrated with Facebook, because Facebook gives the impression that posts are hidden from most people who follow the page.  Facebook is trying to force people to pay to boost posts, which would supposedly make the posts visible to more people.  I believe that Facebook is being intentionally deceptive and that more of the followers are seeing the posts than what Facebook wants page owners to think.

This is my Facebook page.

Jennifer's Series Books

I post updates pretty frequently.  The ones that appear to be the least popular are the automatic posts that link to this blog.  This is what I have noticed.  Often, the automatic post appears, and no one "likes" it immediately on Facebook.  In the first 30 minutes after the automatic post appears, I keep an eye on Facebook's stats and the stats for the post here.  For the posts where no one has "liked" it in that first 30 minutes, Facebook makes it appear that only one or two people have seen it.  I have noticed that as soon as the post appears on Facebook, the blog post here gets a number of views.  I believe people are clicking through from Facebook, but Facebook is not letting me know that people have seen the post.  Facebook only shows me that people have seen the post after someone "likes" the post.  As more people "like" the post, the stats get higher and higher. 

I have finally realized that the number Facebook shows for people who have seen the post does not include followers of my page.  The number is actually the number of people who aren't following the page who have seen the post.  Check out this screen capture I took of one of my posts.


Look at what I highlighted.  How is is possible for two people to have "liked" the post if no one has seen it?  Obviously, the post has been seen.  Most people assume that the number of people reached represents the followers of the page who have seen the post.  Followers of my page are seeing my posts, but Facebook doesn't want me to think they are seeing them.  It's quite deceptive.
.................................................................

eBay has changed its policy on DSRs again.  Once the new standards take effect in August, some of the DSRs will no longer count against sellers.  On the surface, this sounds great, but sellers need to look carefully at the policy.  eBay will begin using something called the "defect rate."  eBay will hold all of the following against sellers as defects:  cases opened by buyers, canceled transactions, negative or neutral feedback received, low DSRs for shipping time, and low DSRs for item as described.

Most of the defects do not concern me.  The DSR for shipping time is only considered low if the buyer leaves one star, and I have never had a buyer leave me a one-star shipping time rating.  I have never had a case opened against me, so I don't anticipate suddenly seeing a bunch of cases opened against me.  The "item as described" DSR is a little concerning, but only because eBay counts not only one- and two-star ratings as low but also the three-star ratings.  Previously, only one- and two-star ratings were considered low.

I have four "item as described" ratings that are threes.  I know that they are not one- or two-star ratings because none were showing on the previous version of the seller dashboard.


I may very well have deserved the three-star ratings.  It is very easy to miss flaws in books.  I try to flip through each book to spot anything obvious, but a page could have a serious flaw and I miss it.  Last summer, I had one transaction where undoubtedly I deserved an "item as described" DSR of one.  I missed a huge flaw to the book.  Huge.  I know the buyer didn't leave me either one or two stars, but he very well could have left three stars.  If so, I deserved a lower rating.

I am trying to "under-promise and over-deliver" on my transactions with respect to item condition.  I have always had that policy, but I'm taking it a step further.  The further I go, the less likely I will get less than four or five stars.  I am marking "acceptable" more and more for the item specifics so that I don't risk marking very good for a book that has heavy wear.  If I make sure I mark a lower grade condition, then I should be better off.

No comments: