Thursday, February 11, 2021

Judy Bolton's Ghost Parade Spirit Masks

Judy Bolton is the one series that has inspired me to purchase items that I would otherwise not collect and that have nothing to do with series book collecting or any of my other interests.  There is just something about the objects featured in the books that causes me to want to own some of those objects.   

Around 20 years ago, I found a ceramic Christmas tree in a thrift store.  I remember that I felt a little silly buying it as the purchase was impulsive and random.  A ceramic Christmas tree is featured on the cover of The Secret of the Musical Tree.

Recently, I was looking at a certain seller's listings on eBay.  They had listed some bulk lots of series books that had sold at a reasonable price per lot.  I started looking at the seller's other items and saw Balinese, Indonesian, and Mexican masks.  


I thought of the "Indian heads" featured in The Ghost Parade.




The more I looked at the seller's listings, the more fascinated I became.  I didn't want to purchase any of their masks, because they weren't Native American.  I found myself wanting to have some Native American masks like the ones featured in The Ghost Parade, particularly the ones featured on the cover of the picture cover edition.

I started searching for Native American masks.  I didn't want authentic Native American masks.  Cost aside, it would not be right to purchase something like that, and it probably wouldn't be legal.  So that was not a consideration.  I specifically looked for listings that were upfront about the masks being reproductions.

Finally, I found a seller of reproduction spirit masks.  I looked at the photos and thought about it.  I was trying to resist, but I knew that I was going to lose the battle in the end.  I had to have them.  

My internal battle went on for around two to three days.  Finally, I bought the masks, and they arrived today.  




The spirit masks are made from carved wood and have been painted.  They are very nice.  They each have a hanger attached to the inside, and I will hang them on the wall once I figure out where to put them. 

No comments: